We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Cruise is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to help us guide the development and validation for fully autonomous vehicles.
In this position, you will have the chance to work at the intersection of hardware, software, and AV technology and have a hand in myriad components of a technically sophisticated autonomous system. If you are interested in defining and testing how sensory input from robot cars is processed, fused, and interpreted through a software stack, please read further!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Work with the software engineering, software testing, and release management teams to understand, review, and guide the development of AV behavior.
- Analyze real-world human and robot driving data, models, and literature to understand how our robot car does and should interact with the world.
- Develop and document feature and/or system requirements for the development and verification of the Autonomous Vehicle.
- Negotiate requirements with all relevant stakeholders and then trace their implementation throughout product development, integration, and testing.
- Interface with systems test and software engineers to guide the development of tests and metrics to measure system performance and verify/validate against requirements.
- Lead problem resolution, tracking, and status communication.
- Support system safety processes and guide FMEA, Fault Tree, and/or HAZOP analyses.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with teams and stakeholders across the company to evaluate system inter-dependencies, identify issues, and drive requirements or processes to make our systems more robust.
- Apply solid technical understanding, critical reasoning, and a structured approach to solving problems in both familiar and unfamiliar domains.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 6-10 years of experience related to systems engineering, software testing, data analysis, processing of sensors data OR 5+ years of product development experience with software for robotics, aerospace or other similar industries
- 3+ years of experience performing systems engineering/architecture activities on complex software or hardware systems, including system analysis, requirements authoring, test generation, verification and validation
- BS, MS, or PhD in Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or another relevant technical field
- Strong technical and nontechnical communication skills
- Experience using Python for data analysis and/or extensive MATLAB scripting experience with willingness to learn and use Python
- Manage multiple priorities while maintaining a commitment to the tasks at hand
- Ability to identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment that values driving highly ambiguous scenarios to well defined and thoroughly tested requirements
- Experience with Systems Safety and safety analyses
- Experience with release management and requirements or testing traceability
- Python and/or C++ proficiency
- Experience with safety critical systems
- Experience working in a regulated environment
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy breakfast, lunch, snacks
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.