We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
The Vehicle Controls team is responsible for the software and algorithms that makes the vehicle follow commanded reference trajectories in a safe, accurate, and reliable manner. This includes controller design and implementation (feedback and feedforward control) for reference tracking, state and parameter estimation, vehicle dynamics modeling, and fault detection/tolerance. Vehicle Controls lives between Motion Planning (responsible for generating comfortable, collision-free feasible trajectories) and Embedded Software (responsible for the hardware interface to the car’s actuators and sensors).
We are looking for a hands-on software engineering manager to lead, manage and grow an engineering team responsible for the Control Software that runs on our autonomous fleet. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing. The engineering manager will lead the technical direction of the team, mentor engineers and support career development, drive design decisions and code review, contribute hands-on to engineering development, and communicate team status and objectives with Senior management.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead the team’s efforts in extending the capability of Controls to cover more challenging driving scenarios and new vehicle platforms.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Set up processes within the team to ensure high quality engineering architecture and design along with fast, reliable, testable production code
- Work with Technical Project Managers and Senior Engineering Managers to develop and execute project roadmaps
- Collaborate with recruiting to scale the team
- Foster a collaborative culture of testing, safety, and documentation
- Increase the productivity of the team by identifying process gaps, common pain points and scalability issues and develop a plan to address them
- Work with GM and Cruise AV safety and validation teams on testing and requirements verification
- Embody Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
What you must have:
- Experience managing a software engineering team in a production environment
- Prior experience as a software developer (C++)
- Deep understanding of Linear and Nonlinear Control strategies and analysis tools
- Practical knowledge of rigid body dynamics modeling and simulation
- Knowledge of vehicle dynamics (suspension models, tire models, actuator and sensor models)
- Familiarity with automotive or aerospace (or similar) safety critical systems and testing
- Experience with autonomous vehicles or robot path planning
- Familiarity with state and parameter estimation methods
- Familiarity with Model Predictive Control (MPC)
- Familiarity with automotive cruise control systems, ABS, traction control, stability control, etc.
- Experience with ROS
- Experience in code optimization or high performance computing
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.