We're the driverless car company. We’re building the world’s best autonomous vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
Our vehicles are on the road in California, Arizona, and Michigan navigating some of the most challenging and unpredictable driving environments. We’re hiring people who want to solve some of today’s most complex engineering challenges and make a positive impact.
About the Vehicle Controls team:
The Vehicle Controls team is responsible for the software and algorithms that makes the vehicle follow commanded reference trajectories in a safe, accurate, and reliable manner. This includes controller design and implementation (feedback and feedforward control) for reference tracking, state and parameter estimation, vehicle dynamics modeling, and fault detection/tolerance. Vehicle Controls lives between Motion Planning (responsible for generating comfortable, collision-free feasible trajectories) and Embedded Software (responsible for the hardware interface to the car’s actuators and sensors).
About the role:
We are looking for a hands-on software engineering manager to lead, manage and grow an engineering team responsible for the Control Software that runs on our autonomous fleet. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing. The engineering manager will lead the technical direction of the team, mentor engineers and support career development, drive design decisions and code review, contribute hands-on to engineering development, and communicate team status and objectives with Senior management.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Lead the team’s efforts in extending the capability of Controls to cover more challenging driving scenarios and new vehicle platforms.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Set up processes within the team to ensure high quality engineering architecture and design along with fast, reliable, testable production code
- Work with Technical Project Managers and Senior Engineering Managers to develop and execute project roadmaps
- Collaborate with recruiting to scale the team
- Foster a collaborative culture of testing, safety, and documentation
- Increase the productivity of the team by identifying process gaps, common pain points and scalability issues and develop a plan to address them
- Work with GM and Cruise AV safety and validation teams on testing and requirements verification
- Embody Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Experience managing a software engineering team in a production environment
- Prior experience as a software developer (C++)
- Deep understanding of Linear and Nonlinear Control strategies and analysis tools
- Practical knowledge of rigid body dynamics modeling and simulation
- Knowledge of vehicle dynamics (suspension models, tire models, actuator and sensor models)
- Familiarity with automotive or aerospace (or similar) safety critical systems and testing
- Experience with autonomous vehicles or robot path planning
- Familiarity with state and parameter estimation methods
- Familiarity with Model Predictive Control (MPC)
- Familiarity with automotive cruise control systems, ABS, traction control, stability control, etc.
- Experience with ROS
- Experience in code optimization or high performance computing
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.