We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Senior Controls Engineer will help design, develop and validate equipment and processes for calibrating autonomous vehicles. This person will work closely with Cruise Calibration SW team and OEM engineers to customize and develop calibration equipment for autonomous vehicles, as well as build a scalable vehicle calibration system that can be implemented at all Cruise locations.
- Collaborate with calibration software team to identify equipment needs to perform calibrations during R&D proof-of-concept phase.
- Design, build, iterate on, and test scalable vehicle calibration equipment to be used at all Cruise locations
- Transition calibration infrastructure from R&D to production and meet all aggressive program timelines.
- Identify off the shelf equipment or design custom components and integrate them to build robust calibration systems. Make design-vs-buy decisions, work with vendors to meet necessary specifications and timelines.
- Identify HMI requirements.
- Once a prototype is finalized, drive increased precision and repeatability into the calibration infrastructure and process.
- Work closely with the calibration and sensors team on defining and meeting calibration requirements for multiple future sensor suites.
- Create FMEAs to identify and mitigate risks to the calibration process and development timeline
- Lead and train vehicle technicians in performing calibration and bring-up activities.
- Troubleshoot, debug, and optimize calibration equipment.
- BS or MS in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software) or other applicable technical degree
- 7-12 years of experience in industrial, manufacturing, automotive, robotics, or similar industry
- Demonstrated hands-on experience building, programming, and troubleshooting electromechanical systems
- Experience bringing a product from conception to prototype to production
- Experience with AB, S7, and UL:508a preferred
- Deep understanding of how mechanical, electrical, and software engineering components interact
- Experience with sensors and calibration highly desirable
- Some ability to program (Python preferred)
- Experience with Google suite, JIRA, Confluence, or similar programs preferred
- Willingness to travel: this position is based in San Francisco and will require some travel to Detroit
- Experience with launching new manufacturing equipment.
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.