We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place where dreamers and doers can succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the Cruise Legal Organization:
In the midst of a complex regulatory environment where the one constant is change, the Legal team is charged with guiding Cruise as it navigates novel legal issues and risk considerations to help Cruise unlock the future. We’re a collegial group in which every role matters, and you will have a big impact on high-stakes decisions. Our team works with technical, development, and business teams to solve some of the hardest engineering challenges of our generation and pave the way for launch.
About the role:
We are seeking to add a Senior Patent Counsel to help grow and strengthen our patent portfolio. While technical skills, experience, and knowledge are vital requisites of this role, the best candidates are personable and organized and will demonstrate the ability to act with efficiency, flexibility, and creativity. Because great ideas come from all corners of the company, this person will play a visible and key role within the Cruise community. This position will report to our Senior Patent Counsel.
Day-to-day responsibilities Include:
- Support Cruise’s patent program by rallying stakeholders and engineering teams through hands-on learning about their work, inspiring them to become inventors (or invent more), and providing legal guidance so their ideas find success at the PTO
- Strategically facilitate patenting in key areas (e.g., simulation, vehicle hardware, machine learning) by mastering understanding of autonomous vehicle technology at Cruise and in the industry
- Contribute improvements to internal and external patent guidelines and processes where appropriate
- Manage invention intake and review; make patenting decisions
- Formulate and communicate constructive feedback and suggestions to inventors on their inventions
- Supervise outside counsel patent preparation and prosecution
- Internal reporting - keep inventors and leadership up to date on program status and individual inventions
- Assist in forecasting and budgeting patent costs
- Anticipate future legal issues and needs; proactively formulate and execute solutions to address these areas
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Patent Attorney, admitted to the United States Patent and Trademark Office and at least one state
- Degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or other related technical field
- 9+ years legal experience
- Both law firm and in-house experience
- Patent preparation and prosecution expertise
- Experience managing significant patent portfolios
- Experience in open source, patent litigation, pools, transactions, marketplace, or standard-essential patents
- Strong intuition for protecting against potential legal and operational disruptions
- Understanding of autonomous vehicle technology
- Experience optimizing patent management software
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.