We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Cruise Hardware R&D team is responsible to design compute platforms for Autonomous Cars and the team is looking for a Senior Hardware Design Engineer who has experience designing complex server boards and/or systems involved with high processing Compute, GPU and/or FPGA chips from concept to high volume production. In this position, you will be working closely with cross functional teams such as Compute Architecture, Hardware & software teams during the design and interact with Manufacturing, Supply chain & ODM partners to build the boards.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Demonstrate full ownership of the hardware/systems from specifications to design, bringup, testing, and system integration
- Derive detailed requirements and specifications from high level objectives and propose logic designs & implementation techniques
- Work closely with chip vendors to review their timelines & reference designs
- Coordinate with other hardware design owners to define the board to board interconnections
- Develop efficient system architectures to meet the redundant strategy
- Prepare test plans & strategies to validate the hardware at component, module & system level
- Make decisions backed by sound engineering trade studies
- Manage timelines and determining project deadlines in order to meet program timing
- Establish milestones and performance gates
- Interact with ODM partners, suppliers & travel during critical builds
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience with hardware engineering with proficiency in: lifecycle management, schematics design, hardware development, vendor management
- Experience with high speed hardware design, component selection, bringup and validation
- Experience with standard interfaces such as PCIE, DDR, 10G+ Ethernet, SGMII/RGMII, USB, I2C, SPI
- Familiar with signal integrity concepts and ability to take judgement based on the SI/PI simulation reports
- Experience in selecting high reliable automotive grade components
- Familiar with discrete/linear regulators and surge protectors
- Proficiency with schematic and layout CAD tools (Cadence/Altium)
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Experience in the data center and/or automotive industry
- Experience with x86 based server designs
- Experience with BMC/BIOS
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.