We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for a talented Engineering Manager to lead, manage, and grow engineers teams in a fast-paced environment. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be contributing vast amounts of code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
The Fleet Automation team provides the tooling to build, test, and operate the world’s largest driverless fleet. We keep our AVs on the road by automating code deployment, dispatching, sensor calibration, experimental feature testing, and more through a suite of modern web applications. As our fleet grows, we work closely with operations groups and AV development to create an efficient, fully driverless operation at scale.
- Provide support for career development, clearly define expectations, and participate in performance reviews
- Empower technical leaders, help define technical vision and strategy, and ensure technical direction aligns with and contributes to other teams
- Coach and support Individual Contributors through mentorship and conflict resolution both within and between teams
- Rally engineers around product vision and key customers
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Work closely with recruiting to identify opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
You should apply for this role if you have:
- 3+ years in Tech Lead or Management roles
- 8+ years general Software Engineering experience
- Experience managing projects across multiple teams
- Experience managing, mentoring, and coaching
- Experience building and architecting modern web applications using Node.js, Go, Python, Ruby, or similar languages
- Experience with modern deployment technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with modern front-end technology stack (React.js + Webpack, or similar)
- Experience with SOA or microservice-based architectures
- Self motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Experience in logistics, route optimization, or transit systems
- Product mindset and customer obsession
- Experience working in a startup
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.