We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place where dreamers and doers can succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The LIDAR Embedded Systems Team develops the embedded software, firmware, and supporting tools for our LIDAR. We are looking for a talented Senior level Engineer to lead, manage, and grow the Embedded team in a fast-paced environment. The Embedded team is dedicated to providing a high-performance platform for Cruise’s next generation LIDAR and is responsible for the low level device firmware, bootloaders, kernel and application development environments, and APIs across a wide variety of devices and systems.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Direct oversight of engineers building highly performant software and firmware running on our LIDAR and supporting infrastructure
- Work with other technical Team Leads to set the technical direction for the team, and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Drive software engineering best practices
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Technical Leadership or Engineering Management roles
- Foster a healthy, collaborative culture and high-output team
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Develop software in C++ to interface the Cruise autonomy stack
- Improve and deliver reliable software through requirements generation, continuous integration, automated testing, issue tracking, and code reviews
- Collaborate with colleagues across multiple teams and mentor other developers
- Deliver complex projects through incremental development
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 4+ years experience managing teams who have shipped and support scalable production systems
- Experience building embedded Linux systems
- Self-motivated to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Effective interpersonal, leadership, and communication skills
- MS degree in engineering or BS degree with equivalent real world experience
- 5+ years of experience writing production-quality software
- Experience with C++11 or later
- Experience with Python and test automation
- Experience with ROS
- Knowledge of and experience applying software best practices
- Experience building or managing performance and safety critical systems or similar
- Experience with Linux kernel or OS driver development
- Demonstrated experience building, testing, and shipping production software
- Experience with safety critical development (FDA, FAA, Automotive)
- Experience with embedded build systems, such as buildroot or yocto
- Experience with networking
- Experience with FPGA development and validation
- Experience with signal processing
- Experience with machine learning and data sciences
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.