We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Acoustic Engineer will lead Acoustic sensor hardware and firmware testing, both at the component and system levels. This position will work with multiple teams to guarantee successful testing, validation, and calibration of the Acoustic sensor suite and ensure its proper integration within the Autonomous Vehicle systems. In addition, this person will support simulation efforts by helping validation of bleeding edge Acoustic simulation models. Time will be split between multiple modalities of acoustic sensing, two way voice/telephony, and in cab audio quality applications.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Design, adapt, and execute test plans on the current autonomous vehicle fleet, hardware for new acoustic sensors and firmware. This includes sensor characterization, validation, tuning, and calibration
- Work closely with test requesters to determine test requirements, evaluate edge cases, and anticipate potential failure modes
- Build Acoustic Models in Ansys / Comsol to address specific technical questions.
- Lead the validation of state of the art Acoustic simulation techniques by designing comprehensive test scenarios and extensive data collection campaigns
- Help define the Acoustic component and subsystem test program as a whole; standardize and document test methods
- Lead Acoustic component and algorithm parameter tuning efforts
- Identify and coordinate external testing where needed. Oversee and document testing/tuning executed by external partners.
- Work closely with other GM and Cruise testing teams to ensure AV content is validated from prototype to production stages and through simulation, bench, and on-vehicle
- Drive continuous improvement into all testing
- Troubleshoot basic autonomous acoustic sensor and system issues and escalate to the right teams
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications
- 2+ years of experience cumulative in either acoustics, time series signal processing, and/or test engineering with proficiency in: test development, Matlab, basic signal processing, data analysis, and test automation.
- Solid understanding of: electro-mechanical systems, digital audio signals, and physical acoustics
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Hands on experience with spectrum analyzers, logic analyzers, and oscilloscopes
- Experience in the automotive/medical/defense industry
- Proficiency with statistical analysis on large datasets
- Experience with ROS/Python/C/C++
- Experience with Comsol / Ansys
- Experience with B&K software
- Experience with USB audio
- Experience with VOIP/AES67 systems
- Experience developing end of line test fixtures
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.