We're Cruise, the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
As the Senior Engineering Manager, Vehicle Testing for our Autonomous Vehicle Development organization, you will be responsible for the productivity, development and growth of Cruise’s vehicle testing program and the individuals on the team. You will align test design, planning, and execution with Cruise’s program priorities. You will be responsible for ensuring test integrity, resource allocation, and balancing cost and risk. You will be a key liaison between internal teams such as AV Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, Embedded Systems, AV Hardware Systems, Fleet Operations, Program Management, and with OEM partners. This role reports to our Director of Autonomous Vehicle Development.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Lead a team of vehicle test engineers to design, develop, and test Autonomous Vehicle systems, subsystems and components
- Work with Engineering Director(s), Technical Program Managers, and others at Cruise and OEM partners to create and execute on a roadmap for your team
- Collaborate with technical leads to set the technical direction for the team, and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Grow and develop a team of engineers effectively assigning tasks to test engineers on your team in line with overarching Cruise priorities
- Optimize the systems, tools, processes, and infrastructure to ensure that autonomous vehicle tests are properly prioritized and executed correctly and on schedule
- Work with test stakeholders to scope facility, equipment and staffing needs for vehicle durability and characterization tests
- Support design of electromechanical testing environments at the vehicle and system level to validate new hardware designs, improve AV safety, reliability, and performance
- Train and mentor team members in order to improve how they solve problems and conduct tests, as well as develop technical growth plans for each individual on your team
- Balance resources and prioritize work for the team to meet long-term goals and key metrics
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture which focuses on individual engagement and development
- Serve as an embodiment of Cruise values
- Drive a culture of safety at all times
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 10+ years of industry experience, including direct people management
- Demonstrated leadership experience and a deep understanding of automotive test programs and design of experiments
- Knowledge of all common vehicle subsystems with a clear and detailed understanding of the interactions between them. EV specific system knowledge (battery, charging, etc.) highly preferred
- Deep understanding of automotive industry testing standards, tools and processes
- Effective communicator able to ensure organizational alignment to vehicle test program goals, process and development expectations
- Be able to demonstrate a history of driving decisions through consensus-building with stakeholders and team members through a collaborative, data-driven approach
- Strong organizational and analytical skills to ensure your team meets key program deadlines in a fast-paced dynamic environment with aggressive targets
- Proven ability to calmly and confidently bring clarity, order and organization to complex undertakings; ability to understand complex technical systems
- Passion for mentoring and growing team members, identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Experience building test equipment and delivering on test plans
- Flexibility and responsiveness to lead cross-functional projects in an ambiguous and rapidly changing environment
- Advanced Degree in Engineering or MBA
- Experience with ROS/Python/C/C++
- Experience with sensing hardware and testing
- Experience with ISO 26262
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.