We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join and lead the Vehicle Testing team. This role will be expected to align the daily tasks for test engineers with Cruise program priorities while driving efficiency and meeting deadlines.
This role will also be responsible for driving the technical development of the engineers on their team. As well as perform hands-on problem solving alongside your team, becoming the domain expert and go-to person for all things related to Autonomous Vehicle Testing.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Responsible for growing and developing a team of engineers and effectively assigning tasks to test engineers on your team in line with overarching Cruise priorities
- Lead a team of vehicle test engineers to design, develop, and test Autonomous Vehicle systems, subsystems and components
- Work with technical lead(s) to set the technical direction for the team, and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Work with Engineering Director(s) and Technical Program Managers to create and execute on a roadmap for your team
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture, and a high output team
- Serve as an embodiment of our values
- Optimize the systems and processes to ensure that vehicle tests properly prioritized and executed correctly and on schedule
- Responsible for teams designing electromechanical testing environments at the vehicle and system level to validate new hardware designs, improve AV safety, reliability, and performance, and develop new calibration techniques.
- Support in defining testing requirements and design and executing test plans
- Train and mentor team members in order to improve how they solve problems and conduct tests
- Balance resources and prioritize work for the team to meet long-term goals and key metrics
- Work with our partners to improve testing at remote facilities
- Drive a culture of safety at all times
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of test engineering experience at a high-growth technology company
- 4+ years of engineering leadership experience
- Demonstrated experience and a deep understanding of vehicle testing and design of experiments
- Passion for growing and mentoring teams
- Experience building test equipment and test plans
- Experience with sensors, calibration, and/or automotive preferred
- Ability to lead cross-functional projects in an ambiguous environment
- Advanced Degree in Engineering or MBA
- Experience with ROS/Python/C/C++
- Experience with sensing hardware and testing
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.