We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for skilled Roboticists and Computational Scientists to join our Autonomous Vehicles Engineering team. At Cruise we are building a fleet of autonomous cars, each with a sophisticated set of sensors. As a Sensor Algorithms Engineer you will be developing novel algorithms and sustainable processes for making sure our sensor suite is aligned and working optimally. This means you’ll be developing high resolution offline calibration methods as well as sophisticated real-time algorithms. You’ll also have the opportunity to work with next generation sensing technology that is critical to making full autonomy a reality.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Develop reliable and scalable multi-sensor calibration algorithms
- Collaborate with vehicle engineering, localization and perception teams to implement calibration systems that work for both vehicle production and field support
- Solve large sparse optimization problems and use a variety of numerical analysis techniques to verify results
- Develop computationally light weight algorithms for detecting and correcting sensor misalignment (closely related to traditional SLAM and Association problems).
- Integrate and support solutions within the constantly evolving Localization and Perception stacks.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years experience as a Roboticist/Software Engineer/Computational Scientist
- Ability to write clean, fast, and maintainable C++ code
- Experience with point clouds or images
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Unit test everything, and know when to ask for support from our stellar infrastructure team
- Previous experience shipping a complex system at scale
- Experience with performance focused optimization software such as Ceres-solver
- Experience with ROS
- Excellent knowledge of Linear Algebra, Convex Optimization, Statistics or Numerical Analysis
- Background in SLAM, Multi Sensor Calibration, or Real-time detection algorithms
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.