We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreams and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the Vehicle Controls team:
The Vehicle Controls team is responsible for the software and algorithms that makes the vehicle follow commanded reference trajectories in a safe, accurate, and reliable manner. This includes feedback and feedforward control for reference tracking, state and parameter estimation, vehicle dynamics modeling, and fault detection/tolerance. Vehicle Controls lives between Motion Planning (responsible for generating comfortable, collision-free feasible trajectories) and Embedded Software (responsible for the hardware interface to the car’s actuators and sensors).
About the role:
We are looking for a hands-on software engineering manager to lead, manage and grow an engineering team responsible for the Controls State and Parameter Estimation software that runs on our autonomous fleet. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing. The engineering manager will lead the technical direction of the team, mentor engineers and support career development, drive design decisions and code review, contribute hands-on to engineering development, and communicate team status and objectives with Senior management.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Lead the team’s efforts in extending the capability of Controls State and Parameter Estimation software to cover more challenging driving scenarios and new vehicle platforms.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Set up processes within the team to ensure high quality engineering architecture and design along with fast, reliable, testable production code
- Work with Technical Project Managers and Senior Engineering Managers develop and execute project roadmaps
- Collaborate with recruiting to scale the team
- Foster a collaborative culture of testing, safety, and documentation
- Increase the productivity of the team by identifying process gaps, common pain points and scalability issues and develop a plan to address them
- Work with GM and Cruise AV safety and validation teams on testing and requirements verification
- Embody Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Experience managing a software engineering team in a production environment.
- Prior experience as a software developer (C++)
- Deep understanding of state and parameter estimation algorithms (Least Squares, Kalman Filters, Particle Filters) for dynamic mechanical systems (ground vehicles, aircraft, robotic manipulators or similar)
- Practical knowledge of rigid body dynamics modeling and simulation
- Knowledge of vehicle dynamics (suspension models, tire models, actuator and sensor models)
- Familiarity with automotive or aerospace (or similar) safety critical systems and testing
- Experience with autonomous vehicles or robot path planning
- Familiarity with closed loop control system design and analysis
- Familiarity with automotive cruise control systems, ABS, traction control, stability control, etc.
- Experience with ROS
- Experience in code optimization or high performance computing
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.