We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Embedded Systems Team develops the first layers of software on the car, from interfacing with hardware, to moving large amounts of data up the software stack. We are looking for a talented Senior Engineering Manager to lead, manage, and grow engineering teams in a fast-paced environment. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be the technical lead or contributing software day-to-day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
- Lead and grow a team of first line engineering managers within the Embedded Systems team
- Ensure teams deliver high quality production code that is safe, well architected, fast, reliable, and testable.
- Work with Engineering Managers and Tech Leads to set and communicate technical direction and product strategies while anticipating strategic and scaling challenges.
- Work with teams across Cruise to foster a collaborative culture of testing, safety, and documentation
- Work with your team, Technical Project Managers and external stakeholders to build, prioritize and execute against an engineering roadmap
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Technical Leadership or Engineering Management roles
- Embody Cruise behaviors: Stay Safe, Own It, Stay Focused, Seek Truth, Work Together, Be Humble
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 7+ years experience managing teams who have shipped and support production systems
- 10+ years experience as a software engineer delivering results within large-scale, robotics, or safety-critical project environments
- Self-motivated to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Effective interpersonal, leadership, and communication skills
- Experience managing multiple teams and initiatives in a mission-critical and fast-paced engineering organization
- Successfully grown software engineering teams by growing engineering managers and driving external leadership recruiting
- Experience building or managing performance and safety critical systems or similar
- Experience delivering complex, distributed systems
- Experience with DO-178, ISO-26262, or IEC-62304
- Experience with modern C++11 or later development
- Experience working with ROS or other robotics frameworks
- Exposure to verifying and validating safety critical software and systems
- Strategic, collaborative, and execution-focused
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.