We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Cruise's LIDAR office in Pasadena is seeking a hands-on CNC Machinist to produce machined parts by programming, setting up, and operating a computer numerical control (CNC) machine. This individual contributor will maintain quality and safety standards, keep records, and maintain equipment and supplies.
- Planning machining by studying work orders, blueprints, engineering plans, materials, specifications, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters; interpreting geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T).
- Planning stock inventory by checking stock to determine amount available; anticipating needed stock; placing and expediting orders for stock; verifying receipt of stock.
- Programing mills and lathes by entering instructions, including zero and reference points; setting tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches; calculating requirements, including basic math, geometry, and trigonometry; proving part programs.
- Setting up mills and lathes by installing and adjusting three- and four-jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cams, gears, stops, and stock pushers; indicating vices; tramming heads.
- Loading feed mechanism by lifting stock into position.
- Verifying settings by measuring positions, first-run part, and sample workpieces; adhering to international standards.
- Maintaining specifications by observing drilling, grooving, and cutting, including turning, facing, knurling and thread chasing operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; adjusting and reprogramming controls; sharpening and replacing worn tools; adhering to quality assurance procedures and processes.
- Maintaining safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
- Maintaining equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
- Maintaining continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Documenting actions by completing production and quality logs.
- Updating job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- Accomplishing organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Ability to read and perform essential computations with GD&T, ANSI 14.5, standard as called out on engineering drawings.
- Able to operate modern mini-mill and CNC as well as traditional vertical mills and hand fed lathes.
- Able to lift up to 50lbs.
- Carrying out post machining verification and QC on the parts using standard measuring techniques and equipment.
- Knowledge of modern CNC codes, i.e. G-code, and ability to work in time efficient manner with modern CNC DRO controllers.
- Able to translate legacy engineering drawings (pre-CAD or detached, PDF copies or similar) into CNC code.
- Inventory control and updating online trackers.
- Knowledge of Standard SolidWorks CAD system
- Knowledge of SolidWorks CAM environment
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.