We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Our consumer product engineering team is responsible for defining and building the in-car experience for a driverless car. We provide situational awareness to our passengers that helps them feel comfortable with the driverless car’s behavior and have confidence that it will drive safely and legally. We also provide interactive functionality that allows passengers to customize internal settings of the car for increased comfort. We use an iterative development process to incorporate UX ideas, design feedback, and rider input to improve our product.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Direct oversight of engineers building the In Car Experience for our vehicles on the Product Engineering team
- Partner with Product Managers, Design, and external engineering teams to help define technical vision and strategy and ensure the technical direction of your teams aligns with other teams across the company
- Coach and support Individual Contributor reports, and resolve conflicts both within your team and between teams
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership roles
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Assist in defining requirements for future hardware in new vehicle initiatives
- Drive features from feedback from autonomous vehicle technicians, product team, and executives
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 3+ years in Tech Lead or Management roles
- 5+ years Android development experience
- Experience managing projects across multiple teams
- Experience shipping one or more Android apps, ideally currently available on Google Play
- Ability to balance speed of development, code quality, and automated testing
- Ability to work in areas outside of your usual comfort zone and get things done quickly while building an autonomous team
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Attention to detail and a passion for correctness
- Self-motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Kotlin experience
- Computer graphics, visualization knowledge is a plus but not required
- Knowledge of game engines is a plus but not required
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.