We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Embedded OS team is dedicated to providing a high-performance platform for Cruise’s next generation of embedded devices. As an Embedded Linux Software Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the low level device firmware, bootloaders, kernel and application development environments, and APIs across a wide variety of devices and systems. Your work will enable Cruise to build a state-of-the-art autonomy platform, including sensors, controllers, and embedded compute platforms.
- New board bring-up in collaboration with our Hardware R&D team
- OS and kernel porting to new compute platforms
- High performance driver development and tuning for networking, storage, data movement, and hardware I/O
- Library, framework, and build system development to enable application software work
- Collaborate with colleagues across multiple teams and mentor other developers
- Deliver complex projects through incremental develop
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience writing production software, with an emphasis in the following areas:
- Board bring-up for x86 or ARM Cortex-A based systems
- Bootloader experience on the above platforms
- Writing kernel drivers for: networking, I/O, storage or high-performance data movement
- One or more of the following: Buildroot, Yocto, OpenEmbedded, OpenWRT
- Knowledge of and experience applying software best practice
Experience working with the following:
- GPUs or other hardware accelerators
- Linux kernel scheduling
- Distributed systems
- Multi-node NUMA or AMP systems
- PCIe-based devices
- ACPI or DeviceTree
- Secure boot
- QNX, VxWorks, or similar
- GRUB, UEFI, U-Boot, or similar
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.