We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for a Hardware Design Engineer with experience in hardware/system/network architecture, hardware design and validation. In this position, you will be part of the Hardware R&D team, which is responsible for developing the hardware platform for our AV software. In this position, you will interact with electrical engineers, layout engineers, mechanical engineers, SI engineers, embedded system engineers, technical program managers internally (GM and Cruise) and various High Speed IC/PCB vendors externally to ensure high quality components are designed.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Demonstrate full ownership of assigned systems/components
- Work with cross functional, vehicle integration teams to come up with the detailed requirements for hardware components like Ethernet Switches
- Gathering requirements, studying design trade off, defining detailed specification for the components
- Work with high speed interfaces like 25G-KR, 10G-KR, 10GBase-T, 1G-T1, PCIe, DDR4, etc.
- Drive high speed design and validation efforts which includes component selection, PCB stackup construction, understanding SI/PI results, propose PCB placement,
- Work with Tier1/2 vendors on component development plan, clarifying technical queries
- Manage timelines and determining project deadlines in order to meet program timing
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- BS or MS in Electrical or Electronics engineering or related discipline
- 5+ years of experience with hardware engineering with proficiency in: Ethernet switch design, lifecycle management, hardware development, vendor management
- Solid design experience of Ethernet switches, power delivery network (PDN), SI/PI, implementing design to meet EMI/EMC requirements
- Solid design experience with automotive ethernet standards
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Proficiency in board design tools like Altium, Cadence
- Experience in ASIL B/D design implementations
- Experience in Ethernet SoC’s from industry leaders
- Experience in EMI/EMC testing methods, root causing issues
- Experience with compute/sensing hardware and testing
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.