Senior Machine Learning Engineer - NPC AI
San Francisco, CA
We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The simulation framework at Cruise is responsible for creating a convincing and realistic synthetic world in order for our vehicle software to be tested quickly and safely. A major part of simulation realism is the behavior of the various moving agents in the simulated world that our Autonomous Vehicle (AV) must interact with. Our virtual world contains other drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and other moving objects. The NPC AI team is responsible for building the decision-making and reactivity of these virtual agents, through machine learning and statistical tools. Machine Learning is used heavily throughout Cruise, and in NPC AI we are focusing on deep reinforcement learning, covering a variety of different algorithms and applications. In this position, you will work closely with engineers from various simulation teams as you work to design, implement, train, and deploy trained virtual agents within our simulation framework. If you're interested in solving some of the most exciting machine learning problems in the industry, then chat with us!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Research, design, and develop new machine learning solutions and algorithms.
- Drive high level algorithm decisions to ensure fast and accurate machine learning in a multitude of different applications
- Deploy scalable and robust software for executing ML inferences within simulation frameworks
- Implement cutting edge machine learning techniques in optimal decision making, motion planning, long-term reward maximizing.
- Apply variations of deep reinforcement learning to estimate optimal behavioral strategies in simulation.
- Augment and help maintain a unified back end architecture for solving ML simulation problems.
- Become a subject matter expert in various parts of the simulation and AV stack.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- MS, or higher degree, in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent in industry experience
- 2+ years of experience in the field of machine learning
- Extensive experience with ML frameworks such as Tensorflow, Caffe, and PyTorch
- Experience with machine learning and classification
- Strong programming skills in Python or C++
- Excellent mathematical reasoning skills, especially with dynamic programming.
- Passionate about self driving car technology and its impact on the world
- PhD in machine learning or computer science or robotics.
- Experience with Stochastic Motion Planning
- Experience with Deep Q Networks, Deep Reinforcement Learning.
- Experience with OpenAI reinforcement learning gyms
- Experience with CUDA
- Experience in deploying ML algorithms into real world environments
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness stipend
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.