We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for talented Engineering Managers to lead, manage, and grow highly effective engineering teams across the Autonomous Vehicle Engineering organization. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be contributing code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
About the teams you could be a part of:
The Planning Behaviors team is directly responsible for defining how self-driving cars behave in complex on-road scenarios, including building algorithms that solve the intricacies of dense urban driving.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Lead and grow a team of engineers within Autonomous Vehicle Engineering
- Ensure high-functioning, high-output team delivers high quality engineering architecture and design along with fast, reliable, testable production code
- Coach and support Individual Contributors enabling effective cross-collaboration between feature and project teams
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership roles
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, engaging candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
- Act as a sounding board and technical architect for your teams, help define technical vision and strategy, and ensure the technical direction of your teams aligns with other teams across the company
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Previous experience as an engineering Manager or Tech Lead providing day-to-day guidance to software engineers
- Proven track record of shipping production quality software for mission-critical or complex software products
- Previous (8+ years) experience as a software engineer delivering results within large-scale, robotics, or safety-critical project environments
- Experience managing projects across multiple teams
- Experience managing, mentoring, and coaching engineers
- Self motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Management experience with an engineering team
- Experience as a software developer in C++
- Modern software development (GIT/JIRA)
- Familiarity working in an R&D environment
- Experience working with robotics, and in particular lidar point clouds
- Experience working with ROS
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.