We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place where dreamers and doers can succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
We’re looking for an experienced Director of Operational Safety to help guide safe operation of autonomous vehicles and create a world-class program to prevent safety issues. This role reports to the VP of Global Markets and will be a key member of the Global Markets leadership team. This role requires a highly versatile and well-rounded leader: someone who can create and drive strategy, and is constantly developing practical solutions in a very fast moving new business.
Areas of focus include:
- #StaySafe on the Road (safety considerations related to human-supervised driving and testing operations)
- #StaySafe in the Shop (in collaboration with corporate Environmental, Health and Safety, safety of operational processes and infrastructure, including garage activities such as maintenance, charging, and cleaning operations)
Day-to-day responsibilities Include:
- Set and execute against a strategic vision for establishing Cruise as a world-class operational safety leader, in partnership with Cruise executives
- Own AV safety policies and procedures, including but not limited to safety training for Autonomous Vehicle Trainers (AVTs), safety guidelines for operating facilities, etc.
- Establish world-class programs for assessing our operations for potential safety gaps or risks through the use of targeted safety metrics and leading indicators
- Build a team covering all areas of operational safety with specialists in key areas such as safety policies and operations auditing
- Synchronize company-wide safety efforts with cross-functional leaders including Legal, AV Integrity, Hardware Engineering, Facilities, Communications, and Customer Support
- Provide regular updates to Cruise executives on safety performance, key safety initiatives,
- and operational effectiveness
- Represent Cruise as a safety thought leader with industry groups
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 10+ years of work experience with at least 5 years of experience that is relevant to safety in a context where safety is mission critical
- Analytical thinking. Data-driven mentality and strong business judgment. Able to roll up your sleeves and analyze the data and derive key insights for your team.
- A creative, outcomes focused approach, with a focus on achieving results.
- An entrepreneurial mindset.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills. Able to communicate and listen effectively; great written, verbal and presentation skills.
- BA/BS with impressive academic record. Advanced degree a plus.
- Operate with a high level of autonomy in a rapidly evolving environment
- Comfortable with occasional travel
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Prior experience with public policy, consumer product testing, safety advocacy, shared mobility, road safety, or transportation
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.