We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Cruise is looking for a Senior 3D Technical Artist to join our Simulation team. In this position, you will be using both technical and artistic skills to create a 3D virtual world with realistic behavior for cars, pedestrians, and motorcyclists. If you're interested in leveraging your experience with real time game or graphics engines to work on ground breaking technology, let's chat!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Work with artists and engineers to advance the state of the art in real time rendered simulations.
- Participate in, standardize, and improve development processes for production of assets, materials, shaders, lighting rigs, LODs, asset streaming, collisions, and interactions.
- Assist artists and engineers via tool development, concept testing of new ideas, and building of rapid prototypes.
- Develop and implement technical and artistic techniques for lighting, materials, visual effects, post-processing, and similar tasks.
- Actively participate in rendering optimizations.
- Identify and troubleshoot content bugs.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years experience as a technical artist (or equivalent capacity) in 3D games, simulators, or other high-performance real time systems.
- Strong art skills with a deep understanding of modeling, texturing, animation, and lighting.
- Proficient with profiling tools to diagnose in-game performance issues and identify how to optimize scenes to run at target frame-rates.
- Real-time engine experience with scripting, workflows, asset assemblies and asset management.
- In-depth knowledge of real-time rendering including physically-based rendering (PBR) pipelines, shader authoring in HLSL (or similar shader language) or shader graphs as well as shader performance profiling and optimization.
- Production experience managing PBR material and lighting pipelines including setting standards for material and texture libraries, calibrating material and lighting properties, working with IES light profiles, capturing reference materials as well as photogrammetry.
- Proven experience creating mel and python scripts to streamline content creation and level authoring processes.
- Unreal Engine 4 experience with blueprints and material editor is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with Python, C++, or C#.
- Experience with real- time VFX, Houdini, and procedural asset creation.
- A portfolio or reel, including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section.
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.