We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The VP of Simulation is a critical engineering leadership role that reports directly to the founder and CTO. Your primary responsibility is to close the gap between on-road testing and simulated testing by designing and delivering high-fidelity and massively scalable simulation and testing systems. Core systems include The Matrix, a photo-realistic 3d simulation powered by a gaming engine that runs sensors-to-control integration tests, a 2d planning and decision making simulation, and various perception and data replay testing frameworks. Additionally, you oversee the development of simulated agent AI and large scale multi-agent simulations.
While it is not commonly recognized today, one of the greatest challenges in the AV industry is to effectively test the software that powers self-driving cars. Cruise has invested heavily in building tools to drive the fastest possible rate of experimentation and iteration. One of your key responsibilities as the VP of Simulation is to seek out and respond to hotspots and inefficiencies in AV software development by designing innovative and highly effective methods to rapidly and accurately predict on-road performance without driving millions of miles. These tools enable our engineering teams to evaluate features across a wide variety of challenging situations, rapidly and automatically recreate rare issues observed in the field, and ensure that every code change results in a positive impact on safety or the customer experience - or it doesn’t ship.
You will oversee a large and growing team of some of the world’s best simulation engineers. This role includes high level tasks like setting the long term vision and working closely with the executive engineering staff, but you are also expected to roll up your sleeves and conduct code reviews, root cause complicated issues, and dig deep into design reviews. You will set an extremely high bar for talent, recruit and mentor managers and engineers, and embody Cruise’s high performance engineering culture and behaviors. This is likely the toughest, most rewarding, and most impactful job you will ever have.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Deliver simulation systems, testing frameworks, and powerful automation tools
- Develop realistic and reactive agent AI systems and models to accurate replicate pedestrian or vehicle behavior in simulations
- Optimize simulation and testing systems for performance and scalability on various desktop, cloud-based, and private data center platforms
- Personally seek out and recruit the world’s best simulation and engineering talent
- Set up processes for design reviews, resource estimation, delivery schedule, customer interaction, prioritization, and continuous improvement
- Work with technical leads within Simulation and AV to set architectural direction and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Be a champion for high quality software development and testing practices
You should apply to this role if you have the following qualifications
- You have a passion for solving tough technology problems but care equally about the impact technology can have on the world
- You’ve been shipping code and managing teams for 10 or more years
- You can write C++ and Python code as well as anyone on your team
- You’ve deployed to thousands of servers on AWS, GCP, or other cloud infrastructure providers
- You regularly go down the rabbit hole to understand root causes or understand complex systems; nothing slips past you
- You are highly pragmatic and understand how to balance R&D and immediate pain points
- You have a strong history of being a great leader with high emotional intelligence. You know how to attract and retain amazing technical talent and leaders.
- Experience designing or building gaming engines or physics simulators
- Experience with ROS or other Robotics frameworks
- Experience testing robots or complex hardware
- Experience designing and building perception or planning systems for robots
- Experience building hardware-in-the-loop testing systems and frameworks
- Experience with visual design and 3D graphics
- Experience working with relational databases, column store databases, etc.
- Experience working with Docker development and deployment workflows
- Experience installing, configuring, and managing GCP, AWS, or on-premises server infrastructure
- Experience managing petabyte-scale storage infrastructure
- Experience writing code for GPUs, machine learning accelerators, or custom ASICs
- Experience with RTOS or standard Linux schedulers
- Experience with ISO26262, DO-178B, and/or MISRA C/C++
- Experience with test case management and requirements traceability systems
- Experience developing or validating stochastic systems
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.