We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for top-notch scientists and engineers to help our autonomous cars perceive the world around them. The ideal candidate would have a background working throughout the electromagnetic spectrum in both active and passive environments, with a competency in not only hardware design and test but the interpretation of physics-based signals for characterization of the world around us.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Develop, validate, and test physics-based models of sensors and sensor suites to ensure that we can drive safely in scoped weather, operational, and environmental conditions
- Develop and validate component-level specifications
- Work with AV integrity to develop subsystem and system level specs
- Derive operational constraints based on sensor degradation and work with systems and AV Integrity to implement
- Develop methodologies to improve system performance while reducing cost, latency, and improve reliability
- Drive sensor system strategies to meet performance and business goals.
- Keep abreast of upcoming & latest sensor technologies
- Active participant in new sensor R&D analysis
- Gain a solid understanding of current and future AV software as it relates to the use of sensor data
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Hands-on experience with sensor hardware in a design, integration or testing role
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to decompose complex engineering problems and systems into manageable chunks
- Understand the complexities of scaling a technically sophisticated product including: demonstrated knowledge of technology development processes, ability to direct allocation of resources and staff, balancing technical requirements schedule and risk, and procedural and safety compliance
- Proven ability to provide technical leadership, program direction and mentorship.
- Proficiency with data analysis tools and programming languages such as Python / C++ /Matlab.
- Previous experience shipping a complex system at scale, while working in a highly cross-functional, interdisciplinary engineering team
- Experience with automotive industry sensors
- Familiarity with processing large sized test results (statistical analysis)
- Experience with sensor calibration
- Experience with computer system architecture and high-speed communication standards
- Exposure to firmware design and/or real-time systems
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.