We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the Ground Truth Automation team:
The Ground Truth organization is responsible for creating and maintaining high quality datasets that are used for training and validation of models running on the AV. Within this organization the Automation team focuses on researching and prototyping solutions to massively increase the rate of dataset iteration to improve AV performance. We deal with a variety of sensor modalities, and develop state of the art algorithms and machine learning models that work together with humans to create high quality, high volume, high value datasets.
About the role:
Our engineers are a talented group of individuals who work in a highly collaborative and high pressure environment. We are looking for experienced engineering managers who lead by example, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and are able to guide, mentor, grow, and support engineering teams so each engineer can perform at the top of their engineering game.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Direct oversight of applied scientists and software engineers building perception models, algorithms and pipelines to label sensor data with ground truth
- Coach and support Individual Contributor reports, and resolve conflicts both within your team, and between teams
- Act as a sounding board and technical architect for your teams, help define technical vision and strategy, and ensure the technical direction of your teams aligns with other teams across the company
- Set direction for the team, anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
- Advocate for your team, manage expectations, celebrate success
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Ensure your team delivers high output
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Experience managing projects across multiple teams
- Experience managing, mentoring, and coaching Senior/Staff Applied Scientists
- Experience building and architecting large-scale, production quality backend systems, especially in applied machine learning or data pipeline/warehousing
- Self motivated and passionate to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- BS, MS or PhD in CS, Math, or equivalent real-world experience
- 8+ years of industry experience, including 3+ years as Tech Lead or Manager
- You have a proven track record of shipping perception / model related solutions on time
- You have a track record of deeply understanding and innovating on behalf of your customers
- Leadership experience in defining long-term team vision/roadmap for unknown or rapidly changing scope
- Technical experience in
- AV / Robotics domains
- Deep learning frameworks (eg Tensorflow)
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.