We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreams and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for talented Engineering Managers to lead, manage, and grow an engineering team in a fast-paced environment.
How do you compare two different algorithms for a self driving car that addresses cases that only happen once in 100,000 miles? 200,000 miles? And how do you do this without driving those miles in the real world?
Simulations of course. But here is the tricky part. Once you run all the simulations how to analyze the results in an intuitive manner? It isn’t just about pass fail but more about metrics and lots of them. To drive results and find the root causes, Cruise needs a solid front end engineering manager to enable data visualization across Simulation.
As the Data Visualization Engineering Manager you will build and manage a team of front end engineers enabling the rest of the engineering organization to dive deep into the data and metrics generated during simulated miles. It isn’t enough to know if the car “passed” a test scenario during a simulation run. Rather, one must know how it passed, how did the various parts of the AV stack perform and where does it need to improve. This involves extensive data analysis and visualization. You and your team will build out the platform enabling the machine learning and data analysis teams to analyze experiments.
If you are passionate about building frameworks and toolsets to enable engineers to play with data quickly and without a need for them to write their own UI components then this is the team for you. Our goal is to make data analysis as easy as drag and drop regardless of the size and complexity of the data set.
Organizationally you are responsible for growing and recruiting the team, owning the vision, thinking big and innovating new ways to reduce the time needed to understand and root cause analyze results of simulations. Furthermore, you'll be working in a fast paced high growth environment requiring you to motivate and cultivate talent across the organization.
At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be the technical lead or contributing code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Direct oversight of engineers building visualization tools for other engineering teams
- Work with technical lead(s) to set the technical direction for the team, and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Deliver highly functioning front end software
- Work with Engineering Director(s), Technical Product Managers, and Technical Program Managers to create and execute on a roadmap for your team
- Drive software engineering best practices both within your team, and create tooling which encourages these across the company
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership roles
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture, and a high output team
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 2+ years experience managing teams who support scalable UI frameworks
- 5+ years experience in software engineering roles (including frontend, backend, or fullstack)
- Experience building performance critical front end systems (huge plus if its data analysis)
- Self motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Master’s degree in CS or equivalent industry experience.
- Passionate about fully owning a data product experience, from developing novel visualization techniques to testing and ensuring robustness of the application in production.
- Experience working on Simulation or Robotics
- Experience with modern C++11 development
- Experience with machine learning and experimentation frameworks
- Experience with graphics, spatial geometry, optimizing complex algorithms, making this faster!
- Experience with fast growth companies and recruiting / retaining the best talent
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and 12 paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.