We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to define new ways of working and learn from world-class leaders in their field. This is a place where dreamers and doers can succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the role:
How do you compare two different algorithms for a self driving car that addresses cases that only happen once in 100,000 miles? 200,000 miles? And how do you do this without driving those miles in the real world?
Simulations of course. But here is the tricky part—once you run all the simulations, how do you analyze the results in an intuitive manner? It isn’t just about pass/fail but more about metrics and lots of them. To drive results and find the root causes, Cruise needs a solid front end engineer to enable data visualization across Simulation.
As a Data Visualization Engineer you will own the vision for part of the visualization platform. This platform will involve front end components that enable other engineers to write queries or even just drag and drop fields to build complex charts and comparisons of experiment data. You should be ready to think not just how to solve a particular need but how to generalize that to solve all needs similar to the current one. It will require building flexible and performant components on the front end along with driving changes on the back end to support.
If you are passionate about building frameworks and toolsets to enable engineers to play with data quickly with little to no need for them to write their own UI components then this is the team for you. Our goal is to make data analysis as easy as drag and drop regardless of the size and complexity of the data set.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Visualize data for machine learning, object tracking, self-driving cars and more
- Develop data analytics products and advanced UI for data producers and consumers across simulation
- Develop components and frameworks for 3D rendering, UI / front-end and visualization engineering
- Ownership of data visualization tools related to simulations
- Work with technical lead(s) to set the technical direction for the team, and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Deliver highly functioning front end software
- Drive software engineering best practices both within your team, and create tooling which encourages these across the company
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- A React guru or comfortable with picking it up quickly
- Experience displaying large data sets on the web in a fast and efficient way
- Able to build generic solutions to be reused across many teams and use cases instead of one off solutions
- Experience building performance critical browser based systems (huge plus if its data analysis)
- Naturally inclined to fully automate testing of everything built. TDD being the way.
- Passionate about fully owning a data product experience, from developing novel visualization techniques to testing and ensuring robustness of the application in production.
- Eagerness to learn and get better at what you do, understanding that teamwork is how we get there.
- Experience with WebGL and rendering graphics
- Experience working on simulation or robotics
- Experience with modern C++11 development
- Experience with machine learning and experimentation frameworks
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.