We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Our Developer Platform organization is responsible for developing & supporting a wide range of tools which underpin the success of our diverse engineering teams. Our vision is to provide world class developer tools to the hundreds of engineers working at Cruise, and this platform is seen as a key competitive advantage at Cruise. We manage Cruise’s mission critical source code (GitHub Enterprise), continuous integration & delivery, code quality, build systems (Bazel), and local development toolchains. We also develop in-house software to support best-practice code review, development workflows, and CI/CD.
We’re looking for a talented engineering manager to oversee and support one of the engineering teams within Developer Platform, and grow their team to support the increasing needs of our internal customers. The ideal candidate will be equally at home managing software engineers and SREs, and will leverage a combination of open source, commercial, and in-house developed software to achieve exceptional results.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects related to the Developer Infrastructure
- Collaborating with technical leads and contributing to the overall architecture, design, and development of core projects related to the Developer Infrastructure
- Establish cross-functional relationships to influence and maintain the organization’s culture of engineering excellence
- Conduct code reviews, and make technical contributions to the platform architecture
- Maintain a high bar for technical quality and operational excellence, and design appropriate on-call rotations and playbooks to meet appropriate SLO/SLAs for each production service
- Recruiting, managing, and maintaining a world-class engineering team
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture, and high output team
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 2+ years experience managing teams that support complex, scalable production systems
- 5+ years experience in software engineering and/or SRE roles
- Experience building large, scalable software systems in at least one of Go, Python or C++
- Good understanding of cloud technologies (AWS, GCP or Azure), Docker, CI/CD workflows, monitoring and security best practices
- Attention to detail and a passion for correctness
- Experience working with developer tooling for large monorepos
- Experience writing modern production Go applications and their build toolchains
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.