We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
How do you compare two different algorithms for a self driving car that addresses cases that only happen once in 100,000 miles? 200,000 miles? And how do you do this without driving those miles in the real world?
Simulations of course. But here is the tricky part. How do you simulate real world scenarios you haven't seen? How do you decide which scenarios are more important than others? How do you generate them at scale without humans in the loop?
On the replay simulation team we take on-road recorded sensor data and generate scenarios for our virtual world tests. The goal is to accurately predict which code branch / release will generate better on-road driving than the other. All without driving the actual miles.
From a technology perspective, you will need to leverage big data (gathering, synthesis, and analysis), machine learning, automation, simulation strategies, statistics, and experimentation.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Design and implement highly performant, high-availability software that will run on our autonomous vehicle
- Build clean architecture that will be compatible across a variety of platforms
- Collaborate with other engineering teams
- Thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment where immediate impact is a result of your efforts and where your contribution is highly visible
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Exceptional ability to write clean, fast, reliable and highly scalable software
- Excellent C++ coding abilities, with strong system fundamentals
- Propensity for shipping product, ideally commercially available software
- Tendency to automate and unit test everything
- Experience designing, coding, integrating, and debugging C++ software such as in;
- An environment that develops a complex multithreaded product
- Latency and performance constrained environments (e.g. video games, high frequency trading, ad serving, product recommendation engines, large scale high volume websites/apps)
- Building applications that run on real-time operating systems
- Understanding of networking and multithreading
- Experience developing in a Linux environment
- Passion for self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Natural ability to communicate well across teams of developers and other staff
- Experience with modern C++11 development
- Experience with CI and CD workflows
- Experience with machine learning and experimentation frameworks
- Experience with graphics, spatial geometry, optimizing complex algorithms, making this faster!
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.