We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About Cruise Legal:
Cruise is creating a new-to-the-world service and a world-changing category of autonomous vehicle mobility. On the legal side, the rules are being written now, and we’re the team charged with helping guide the company on legal and risk considerations as we unlock the future. We’re a collegial group. Every role on our team matters. You’ll have the chance to make a big impact on high stakes decisions, working with technical and development teams solving some of the hardest engineering challenges of our time
The rapidly growing Cruise legal team is looking for a pragmatic and thoughtful collaborator to join us as Sr. Counsel for Privacy & Product. In this role, you will be our core privacy law expert and help chart the course on the data and privacy issues that shape Cruise’s business and the development of its world-changing product. You will operate cross functionally within the legal department, working closely with numerous team members, including our Lead Counsel (Privacy, Ethics & Compliance) and the Lead Counsel (Product, Marketing, and IP).
The role requires practical privacy expertise—not just knowing legal requirements but, more importantly, translating them into clear guidance and actionable steps for our technical teams to implement. Privacy is a high priority for our leadership, so you will interact at senior levels, too. You’ll also advise on a broader range of (not strictly privacy) product and business issues. In sum, you will work directly with key members of the business, engineering, security, government affairs, IT, and legal teams on a range of mission-critical projects.
Day-to-day responsibilities Include:
- Provide clear guidance on legal requirements as part of our product design and planning process, and help formulate innovative solutions to ensure our autonomous vehicles, other products, app, and website meet privacy-focused legal requirements.
- Advise on privacy and cybersecurity law aspects of licensing, procurement, M&A, and other corporate deals.
- Collaborate with Cruise Security’s Governance, Risk and Compliance team to create and promote company-wide privacy and cybersecurity policies and procedures, including through effective trainings and auditing frameworks.
- Co-lead our efforts toward compliance with the California Consumer Privacy Act and strengthen compliance with existing privacy laws.
- Monitor proposed and new privacy laws and regulations, and work with the government affairs organization to help shape Cruise’s positions on those policies.
- Collaborate closely with legal team counterparts on issues such as data protection, data retention, data security, and data breach rules, as well as in responding to any federal or state regulatory investigations concerning privacy-related matters.
- Be an advisor to the business, working with non-legal stakeholders to understand their goals, spot legal issues, and solve them
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Desire to get hands dirty and practice law every day (this is not initially a management position, and will never be a “management only” position).
- Graduate of a top, ABA-accredited law school and active member of a state bar and in good standing.
- At least 8 years of practice experience, including time at a time at a top law firm and at least 3 years specifically focused on privacy and/or cybersecurity.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues and developing solutions.
- Sound judgment and skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and interpersonal communication.
- Clear comfort and well-substantiated familiarity with technology (software, automotive technology, sensors, and legal ops tools).
- In-house experience, especially if focused on privacy at a tech or consumer products company.
- California Bar preferred.
- Computer science or engineering background or experience with using tech solutions to safeguard privacy and security.
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.