We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for talented Engineering Managers to lead, manage, and grow an engineering team in a fast-paced environment.
How do you compare two different algorithms for a self-driving car that addresses cases that only happen once in 100,000 miles? 200,000 miles? And how do you do this without driving those miles in the real world?
Simulations of course. But here is the tricky part. How do you simulate real-world scenarios you haven't seen? How do you decide which scenarios are more important than others? How do you generate them at scale without humans in the loop?
On the replay simulation team, we take on-road recorded sensor data and generate scenarios for our virtual world tests. The goal is to accurately predict which code branch/release will generate better on-road driving than the other. All without driving the actual miles.
For this team, from a technology perspective, you will need to leverage big data (gathering, synthesis, and analysis), machine learning, automation, simulation strategies, statistics, and experimentation.
Organizationally you are responsible for growing and recruiting the team, owning the vision, thinking big and innovating new ways to test and generate metrics for branch comparisons, managing the release process, improving design and delivery across the team and beyond. Furthermore, you'll be working in a fast paced high growth environment requiring you to motivate and cultivate passion across the organization.
At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be the technical lead or contributing code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Direct oversight of engineers building Simulations for autonomous vehicles
- Work with technical lead(s) to set the technical direction for the team, and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Deliver highly functioning software
- Work with Engineering Director(s), Technical Product Managers, and Technical Program Managers to create and execute on a roadmap for your team
- Drive software engineering best practices both within your team, and create tooling which encourages these across the company
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership Roles
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture, and a high output team
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 2+ years experience managing teams who support scalable production systems
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering roles
- Experience building performance critical systems in C++ or Python
- Experience working on Simulation or Robotics
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, or equivalent experience
- Self-motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices and constantly improve
- Experience with modern C++11 development
- Experience with CI and CD workflows
- Experience with machine learning and experimentation frameworks
- Experience with graphics, spatial geometry, optimizing complex algorithms, making this faster!
- Experience with fast-growth companies and recruiting/retaining the best talent.
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.