We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
We are looking for talented Engineering Managers to lead, manage, and grow an engineering team in a fast-paced environment.
How do you compare two different algorithms for a self-driving car that addresses cases that only happen once in 100,000 miles? 200,000 miles? And how do you do this without driving those miles in the real world?
Simulations of course. But here is the tricky part. How do you simulate real-world scenarios you haven't seen? How do you decide which scenarios are more important than others? How do you generate them at scale without humans in the loop?
On the replay simulation team, we take on-road recorded sensor data and generate scenarios for our virtual world tests. The goal is to accurately predict which code branch/release will generate better on-road driving than the other. All without driving the actual miles.
For this team, from a technology perspective, you will need to leverage big data (gathering, synthesis, and analysis), machine learning, automation, simulation strategies, statistics, and experimentation.
Organizationally you are responsible for growing and recruiting the team, owning the vision, thinking big and innovating new ways to test and generate metrics for branch comparisons, managing the release process, improving design and delivery across the team and beyond. Furthermore, you'll be working in a fast paced high growth environment requiring you to motivate and cultivate passion across the organization.
At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be the technical lead or contributing code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
What you'll be doing:
- Direct oversight of engineers building Simulations for autonomous vehicles
- Work with technical lead(s) to set the technical direction for the team, and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Deliver highly functioning software
- Work with Engineering Director(s), Technical Product Managers, and Technical Program Managers to create and execute on a roadmap for your team
- Drive software engineering best practices both within your team, and create tooling which encourages these across the company
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership Roles
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture, and a high output team
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
What you must have:
- 2+ years experience managing teams who support scalable production systems
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering roles
- Experience building performance critical systems in C++ or Python
- Experience working on Simulation or Robotics
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, or equivalent experience
- Self-motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices and constantly improve
- Experience with modern C++11 development
- Experience with CI and CD workflows
- Experience with machine learning and experimentation frameworks
- Experience with graphics, spatial geometry, optimizing complex algorithms, making this faster!
- Experience with fast-growth companies and recruiting/retaining the best talent.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Commuter benefits
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, SoftBank, and T. Rowe Price have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the bleeding-edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with Cruise to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way.
We also consider for employment qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws. And, if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.