We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role
We are seeking experienced and passionate privacy experts with technical depth, and product intuition to join our effort to act as end-to-end privacy strategists for Cruise’s product and engineering teams. You should be comfortable in uncharted territory as we build unique privacy technologies and grow user trust. We need your skills and enthusiasm to make it happen.
- Create and drive adoption of privacy frameworks and best practices across the company, like privacy-centric data handling guidelines and technical privacy reference architecture.
- Act as a strategic partner to product teams. Work with engineering and product leaders - from ideation to implementation - crafting the product/technology strategy and roadmap for privacy, mapping critical business priorities to dependencies, and aligning cross-functional roadmaps.
- Provide technical guidance and support on Privacy By Design including Privacy Impact Assessment and remediation of findings.
- Drive privacy strategy with executive leadership, in close collaboration with legal, policy, and communications experts.
- Closely partner with other Privacy Engineers to build solutions addressing common needs.
- Serve as the technical escalation path to Privacy Engineering.
- Be an internal and external evangelist for Cruise’s privacy technology.
- Define and track privacy metrics.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Depth, expertise, and pragmatism. You have visionary ideals for user privacy and can apply them in a business environment. You have knowledge and experience in approaches to securing user data and keeping it private. You’ve evaluated, tested, and deployed privacy-preserving technologies and strategies in the real-world. This may have included data lifecycle management, de-identification, and big data privacy.
- Architecture skills. You’re an end-to-end privacy strategist, contributing to and reviewing engineering/product designs, assessing privacy risks, and driving Privacy by Design through the organization. You understand how architecture impacts privacy and security. You see how it all fits together and can navigate both typical and complex privacy pitfalls.
- Versatility. You understand cross-functional priorities across fast-growing verticals and attendant impact on data protection, and ensure that all stakeholders steer in the same direction at a healthy velocity. You can provide both broad and deep technical privacy guidance and support to product and engineering teams.
- Passion. You’re excited and equipped to share our message on privacy and data protection to our users, the industry, and other experts. You may have given public talks or published blog posts or papers on privacy-related topics.
- Leadership. You’re able to educate partners on the privacy impact of design decisions and ensure innovation and data protection coexist. You’re just as comfortable with on the ground privacy challenges as you are driving strategy with executive leadership.
- A great teammate. Your privacy expertise is matched by your humility and willingness to problem-solve with others. You act as a strategic partner to product teams. You can take the lead and have a great sense of what doing ‘the right thing’ is. You are an enabler not a blocker. You seek to mentor and share your knowledge with others.
- Experience within Security
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.