We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for a talented Engineering Manager to lead, manage, and grow engineers teams in a fast-paced environment. At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be contributing vast amounts of code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
The Remote Assistance system leverages human intuition to support autonomous vehicles in challenging situations. We build technology that allows humans to assist the AV's algorithms by suggesting a possible path and modifying constraints. The Remote Assistance Team is a full-stack team comprised of frontend, backend and AV engineers that works closely with other teams at Cruise to ensure our cars are driving safely and efficiently.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Direct oversight of engineers building full stack software and scalable data pipelines to support our Autonomous Vehicle development
- Coach and support Individual Contributor reports, and resolve conflicts both within your team, and between teams
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical Leadership roles
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
- Act as a sounding board and technical architect for your teams, help define technical vision and strategy, and ensure the technical direction of your teams aligns with other teams across the company
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 3+ years in Tech Lead or Management roles
- 8+ years general Software Engineering experience
- Experience managing projects across multiple teams
- Experience managing, mentoring, and coaching Engineering Managers
- Experience building and architecting modern web applications using Go, Node.js, Python, Ruby, or similar languages
- Experience with modern front-end technology stack (React.js + Webpack, or similar)
- Experience with SOA or microservice-based architectures
- Self motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Experience with modern deployment technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Knowledge of security best practices, including authentication, static analysis
- Experience working with robotics, and in particular lidar point clouds
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.