We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
Building and maintaining a fully autonomous vehicle requires significant departures from a normal vehicle in terms of assembly, calibration, configuration, and testing.
The Vehicle Development Engineering Manager will lead an engineering team to design, implement, and validate equipment and processes for bringing up and maintaining autonomous vehicles. This person will work closely with GM and Cruise engineering teams to customize the manufacturing assembly line for autonomous vehicles and build a test program to significantly improve repeatability, reliability, and scalability of autonomous vehicle bring-up. This person will also create a scalable vehicle calibration system that can be implemented at all Cruise maintenance locations.
- Lead a team of 10-15 electrical, mechanical, and manufacturing engineers to redefine how Cruise brings up and calibrates autonomous vehicles
- Design bring-up for all future AVs and sensors; hand off to a sustaining engineering team
- Design the electromechanical equipment and targets of a scalable AV calibration system that can be implemented at any Cruise location; work hand-in-hand with the calibration software team to develop and iterate on the design
- Create and execute testing programs to validate calibration
- Drive issue resolution, process improvements, and testing back into the GM factory and to suppliers to catch issues upstream before they hit bring-up
- Automate and standardize bring-up and calibration processes
- Select vendors to manufacture bring-up and calibration equipment; set appropriate quality gates to meet specifications timelines
- Lead design reviews for calibration and bring-up equipment
- Use risk assessment tools such as FMEA to plan and release tests and improvements
- BS or MS in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software, Industrial) or other applicable technical degree
- 7-15 years of experience in industrial, manufacturing, automotive, robotics, or similar industry
- 3+ years of managing people
- Demonstrated experience bringing a product (preferably a physical electromechanical product) from concept to development and testing to launch
- Deep understanding of how mechanical, electrical, and software engineering components interact
- Experience building test equipment and creating test plans
- Experience working with vendors to meet precise specifications on tight timelines
- Experience with sensors, calibration, and/or automotive highly preferred
- Experience with programming (Python preferred)
- A passion for mentoring and growing a team
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.