We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
Building and maintaining a fully autonomous vehicle requires significant departures from a normal vehicle in terms of assembly, calibration, configuration, and testing.
The Senior Engineering Manager of Calibration Hardware will lead an engineering team to design, implement, and validate equipment and processes for bringing up and maintaining autonomous vehicles. This person will work closely with GM and Cruise engineering teams to customize the manufacturing assembly line for autonomous vehicles and build a test program to significantly improve repeatability, reliability, and scalability of autonomous vehicle bring-up. This person will also create a scalable vehicle calibration system that can be implemented at all Cruise maintenance locations.
- Lead a team of 10-15 electrical, mechanical, and manufacturing engineers to redefine how Cruise brings up and calibrates autonomous vehicles
- Design bring-up for all future AVs and sensors; hand off to a sustaining engineering team
- Design the electromechanical equipment and targets of a scalable AV calibration system that can be implemented at any Cruise location; work hand-in-hand with the calibration software team to develop and iterate on the design
- Create and execute testing programs to validate calibration
- Drive issue resolution, process improvements, and testing back into the GM factory and to suppliers to catch issues upstream before they hit bring-up
- Automate and standardize bring-up and calibration processes
- Select vendors to manufacture bring-up and calibration equipment; set appropriate quality gates to meet specifications timelines
- Lead design reviews for calibration and bring-up equipment
- Use risk assessment tools such as FMEA to plan and release tests and improvements
- BS or MS in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software, Industrial) or other applicable technical degree
- 7+ years of experience in industrial, manufacturing, automotive, robotics, or similar industry
- 3+ years of managing people
- Demonstrated experience bringing a product (preferably a physical electromechanical product) from concept to development and testing to launch
- Deep understanding of how mechanical, electrical, and software engineering components interact
- Experience building test equipment and creating test plans
- Experience working with vendors to meet precise specifications on tight timelines
- Experience with sensors, calibration, and/or automotive highly preferred
- Experience with programming (Python preferred)
- A passion for mentoring and growing a team
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.