We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
Building and maintaining a fully autonomous vehicle requires significant departures from a normal vehicle in terms of assembly, calibration, configuration, and testing.
The Vehicle Development Engineering Manager will lead an engineering team to design, implement, and validate equipment and processes for bringing up and maintaining autonomous vehicles. This person will work closely with GM and Cruise engineering teams to customize the manufacturing assembly line for autonomous vehicles and build a test program to significantly improve repeatability, reliability, and scalability of autonomous vehicle bring-up. This person will also create a scalable vehicle calibration system that can be implemented at all Cruise maintenance locations.
- Lead a team of hardware and software engineers to redefine how Cruise builds, configures, and calibrates autonomous vehicles during bring-up and then maintains that calibration over time
- Innovate on how to improve bring-up process by a step change in order to meet all future program needs
- Design physical testing environments and create and execute testing plans at the component, vehicle, and system level to reduce and eliminate potential bring-up issues
- Guide the team in writing software for test setups, including simulating fire-up, calibration, and driving
- Guide the team in writing software to test autonomous components during vehicle assembly and component subassembly
- Design, build, and test compact, scalable equipment and process to recalibrate vehicle fleets long-term at any Cruise maintenance locations
- Work with vendors to meet necessary specifications and timelines
- Work with GM to implement improvements in the factory and to partner on testing at GM facilities
- Use risk assessment tools such as FMEA to plan and release tests and improvements
- BS or MS in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software) or other applicable technical degree
- 7-15 years of experience in industrial, manufacturing, automotive, robotics, or similar industry
- 3+ years of managing people
- Ability to lead engineers from a variety of disciplines to accomplish multiple projects on long-term deadlines
- Demonstrated experience bringing a product (preferably a physical electromechanical product) from concept to development and testing to launch
- Deep understanding of how mechanical, electrical, and software engineering components interact
- Experience building test equipment and plans from scratch
- Experience working with vendors to meet precise specifications on tight timelines
- Experience with sensors, calibration, and/or automotive preferred
- Experience with programming (Python preferred)
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.