We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
The Machine Learning Platform team builds and supports the essential tools and frameworks for every machine learning engineer at Cruise. Our goal is to greatly accelerate the development cycle of machine learning models across the whole company, empowering machine learning engineers to focus on improving the car’s safety and performance, instead of worrying about their infrastructure. Our scope covers the whole lifecycle of machine learning at Cruise: data processing, model training and deployment to vehicles. We are driven by the success of our partner teams who rely on our work to build the most advanced driverless cars in the world.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Lead design, implement and deploy backend systems and tools to support machine learning workflows at Cruise. Drive engineering excellence by setting standards and best practices for the team.
- Own team’s architecture and be a main go-to person of major technical decisions. Effectively lead project planning and design discussions with multiple senior or junior engineers.
- Foresee the effects of projects across multiple teams and be a key person at managing conflicts. Proactively work with partner teams to ensure they are benefiting from the systems we built.
- Conduct technical interviews of senior candidates with bar-raiser standards and play an essential role in strategic recruiting activities, including manager hiring.
- Work closely with Engineering Manager on coaching and improving team’s effectiveness. Onboard and mentor senior engineers by setting them for success at team and company.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Have a track record of building scalable backend systems in service-oriented architectures and solving complex, uncertain problems efficiently
- Experience of leading large, complex projects spanning multiple teams/organizations often with conflicting priorities and schedules
- Experience working with relational databases or big data systems
- Expertise with tools, systems and processes required to accomplish the job
- Expertise helping with strategic hirings and senior engineer’s career development
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- BS, MS or PhD in CS, Math, or equivalent real-world experience
- 8+ years of industry experience
- Experience in scalable data processing and warehousing systems, such as: Spark, BigQuery/Bigtable, Dataflow (Google Cloud), etc.
- Experience with popular deep learning frameworks, such as: Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch, etc.
- Even better if you understand: parallel training, active learning, model deployment (e.g., TensorRT conversion)
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes
- Knowledge and experience with machine learning algorithms.
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.