We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a Senior Platform / Infrastructure Engineer to join our fast-growing team! In this role you will get to work on challenging technical problems, and create a best-in-class internal platform to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our engineering team.
Platform Team Charter:
- Develop, enhance, and operate scalable and highly available components for our Kubernetes-based container platform which all teams at Cruise use to run their production workloads
- Build self-service Continuous Delivery tooling to support deployment and lifecycle management of a wide range of compute workloads and services at Cruise
- Design systems which improve and standardize the observability of services deployed on our platform
Technologies We Use:
- Languages: Go, Python, Bash, YAML
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, Bare Metal
- Containers: Docker, Kubernetes, Google Kubernetes Engine, Google Container Registry
- Provisioning: Terraform, Ansible, Vault
- CI/CD: CircleCI, Spinnaker
Day-to-day Responsibilities Include:
- Design, review, and develop scalable distributed systems to support the unique engineering challenges faced at Cruise
- Build automation tools and frameworks for on-demand deployment environments, infrastructure provisioning and service management
- Evaluate new tools and technologies through POCs and propose solutions for implementation
- Drive software engineering best practices within your team, and create tooling which encourages these across the company
- Participate in an on-call rotation for the critical platform(s) your team provides to the company
- Continually improve reliability and optimize performance of our production systems
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years experience building scalable production systems
- Experience writing Go, or a desire to learn
- Experience using Kubernetes, or other container orchestration solutions
- Experience designing, operating, or building distributed systems
- Thorough understanding of Unix/Linux and networking fundamentals
- Attention to detail, and a desire to improve processes & systems around you
- Ability own a project, gather requirements, communicate with stakeholders, identify milestones, track progress, and drive to completion.
- Ability to research, document, communicate, and defend proposals and take critical feedback
- Ability to manage competing priorities, focus on shipping, and work well under pressure
- Passionate about self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Experience building or using operators or custom resources in Kubernetes
- Experience building multi-cloud or hybrid-cloud environments
- Experience owning or contributing to Open Source projects
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.