Cruise is the driverless car company started by Kyle Vogt and Daniel Kan in 2013 in San Francisco. We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more useful. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. Cruise has taken significant investments from General Motors and Softbank to scale and launch the first driverless ride sharing service in San Francisco in late 2019.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the Cruise Marketing Organization:
Cruise is a new to the world brand that is creating a world changing category of autonomous vehicle mobility for consumers. We’ve just hired our first Chief Marketing Officer who has built brands at Procter & Gamble, Google, and Intuit. We’re now building a marketing organization from the ground up that will help us launch the brand to everyone in San Francisco in the fall of 2019. From there, our goal is to build a world changing global brand that redefines mobility for the next generation. The right candidate will be one of the first members of our marketing organization and will have a chance to shape the definition of our brand and our working culture from day one.
About the role:
The Director of Brand Marketing Partnerships will screen, select, and manage the network of partnerships we will build to manage the brand at scale. Key partnerships that need to be developed include:
Brand Agency Partners: Design the request for proposal, identify the right potential partners, and negotiate agency contracts that enables us to have long lasting relationships. After hire, establish the right performance management system with our agencies to ensure we get the best work and great value creation from our relationships. Areas of focus would be:
- Creative Agency Partner: Wieden & Kennedy vs. TBWA vs. 72&Sunny etc
- Media Agency Partner: Hearts & Science vs. Carat vs. Mindshare
- Design Partner: Landor vs Huge vs Siegel & Gale vs Ideo vs LPK vs Interbrand
- PR Agency: Ketchum vs Fleishman etc
- Digital Agency: Digitas vs Akqa vs Razorfish (if we hire one. We may do in house)
Marketing Technology Stack Partners: Design the requirements and partner with the right technology partners to build a marketing tech stack that will enable us to manage our brand at scale. Areas of focus would include selection and management of:
- Content Management Systems: Wordpress vs. Adobe vs. Magento
- Email CRM Systems: Zoho vs Mail Chimp vs Bronto
- Demand Side Ad Platforms: Doubleclick vs. Brightroll vs. Dataxu vs Mediamath
- Marketing Analytics Platforms: Google Analytics vs Marketo vs. Mixpanel
Media Partners: Secure and develop the right media partnerships to win in San Francisco and beyond. Examples would include:
- Negotiating a media deal to bring Netflix as an entertainment option into the in car experience.
- Negotiating a sponsorship with the SF Giants to bring all players to and from the game in a Cruise.
- Negotiating a deal with 25 Instagram Influencers to be early riders and endorsers of Cruise.
Cruise will launch initially in San Francisco in 2019 but our plan is to scale the brand globally over the next decade. There will be a continual stream of brand partnership work to manage and develop as we exand our footprint city by city around the world.
This role reports to the Chief Marketing Officer.
- Screen and manage all inbound marketing partnerships.
- Research and be an expert in potential company partners across agencies, marketing tech, media partners.
- Design partnership strategy for our brand. Answer key questions on “in house vs external”, “build vs buy”, “long term vs short term”.
- Recruit, hire, and develop a team who will run each of our three focus areas.
- Build system and approach for identifying, screening, and selecting partners. Clearly define decision making process and criteria we’ll use to evaluate potential partners.
- Negotiate and manage in partnership with legal the design and execution of all our external contracts.
- Develop performance management system that inspires our partners to create great value for Cruise.
- Ensure we gain alignment with finance for our partnership budgets and we deliver cost consistently.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Experience in strategic sourcing and our business development roles.
- Proven ability to negotiate and design contractually bound partnerships with key external parties.
- Domain expertise in marketing agenices, marketing and ad tech space, and media / brand partnerships.
- Strong financial acumen and proven ability to develop strategy. MBA is preferred.
- Inspiring leader who leads through influence.
- Ability to live and work in San Francisco
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, dinner, and snacks
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page