We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
The Planning Systems Engineering Lead researches and develops a strong understanding of how a robot car can best navigate a stochastic environment like the roads of San Francisco!
The main focus is on building and enabling a systems engineering team to support decisions around how to interpret uncertainty in a real-time environment, what is the best action to take at any given time, and how we can effectively and safely share the road with human road users.
If you are interested in working on a product that will change the world, let’s chat!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Principal contact with Planning engineering department leads to align work to the program schedule and ensure task delivery
- Support development and management of Systems Engineering practices at Cruise
- Lead, mentor and enable the success of a growing Systems Engineering team
- Report effort estimates for requirements delivery and guide program for scope of new programs or product requests from business.
- Empower Systems Engineers on the team, connecting them to mentors, customers, or org leaders as needed.
- Maintain a healthy retention ratio via ensuring Systems Engineers remain motivated through challenging work without burning out.
- Own the continuous performance evaluation and career development of their Systems Engineers. Recognize and grow top performers to the next level.
- Assist with hiring the best talent for their team to raise the performance bar.
- Effectively onboard other team members (including more senior new members) via explaining the big picture, operational flow, key stakeholders, and customers of their products.
- Contribute to strategic hiring across the company, and provide accurate assessments for hiring and promotions of potential and current team members.
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- BS or MS, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or another relevant engineering field
- Experience as a Systems Engineer with an emphasis on software and the ability to understand autonomous vehicles in general and a strong level of expertise in AI or robotics
- 7+ years of industry experience in complex system requirements management especially relating to: feature detection and tracking, multi-view geometry, sensor fusion architectures and systems for automotive applications, positioning, navigation and timing techniques automotive radar signal processing and design, robot path planning and control algorithm design, simulation and implementation
- Project and Time Management: Manage multiple priorities while maintaining a commitment to the tasks at hand
- Problem Solving: Able to identify problems, analyze varying courses of action to determine, recommend and negotiate optimal solutions and execute contingency plans
- Complex Analysis / Synthesis: Able to process a large amount of information flow, identify multiple parameters, interdependencies and inconsistencies to provide both high-level systems overview and deep subject matter expertise
- Strong technical and nontechnical communication skills
- Ability to identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Able to operate with a high tolerance of ambiguity
- Experience with transportation engineering, road safety, road design or design of Intelligent Transportation (ITS) Systems
- Experience with incorporating data science or large-scale data analytics
- JAMA requirement management
- Skilled in cross-functional team communication; scrum and agile techniques
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.