We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
Cruise is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to help us lead development and validation of technologies governing path planning for sophisticated autonomous vehicle technology.
In this position, you will have the chance to work at the intersection of hardware, software and AV technology and have a hand in nearly every component of a technically sophisticated autonomous system.
If you're interested in helping define and test robot cars making decisions about uncertainty in a stochastic environment like the roads of San Francisco, let's chat!
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Develop functional / feature, system and subsystem requirements for determining the desired AV’s behavior including where to route and how to maneuver around a complex road environment
- Guide the development of and traceability of verification and validation testing
- Evaluate internal and external engineering design change requests
- Analyze and negotiate requirements with internal and external stakeholders, trace their implementation throughout product development and integration
- Analyze test data from simulation, close course, and real-world testing to guide development prioritization and requirements refinement
- Conduct requirement reviews with all stakeholders in alignment with safety and regulatory constraints
- Support system safety FMEA processes & guide development of hazops and interface analyses DFMEA (Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis) for identifying recording potential failure modes
- Responsible for leadership and cross-functional teamwork, providing assistance in the development of consensus and win-win situations
- Lead problem resolution, tracking, and provide feedback on status to tracked problems
- Apply solid technical understanding, critical reasoning and a structured approach to solving problems in both familiar and unfamiliar domains
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- BS or MS, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or another relevant engineering field
- 5+ years of industry experience in complex system requirements management especially relating to: feature detection and tracking, multi-view geometry, sensor fusion architectures and systems for automotive applications, positioning, navigation and timing techniques automotive radar signal processing and design, robot path planning and control algorithm design, simulation and implementation
- Project and Time Management: Manage multiple priorities while maintaining a commitment to the tasks at hand
- Problem Solving: Able to identify problems, analyze varying courses of action to determine, recommend and negotiate optimal solutions and execute contingency plans
- Complex Analysis / Synthesis: Able to process a large amount of information flow, identify multiple parameters, interdependencies and inconsistencies to provide both high level systems overview and deep subject matter expertise
- Strong technical and nontechnical communication skills
- Ability to identify and act on opportunities to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Able to operate with a high tolerance of ambiguity
- Experience with machine learned applications
- Python proficiency
- Ability to read or write C++
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.