We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
Our Senior Manufacturing Engineer will help design, develop, and validate equipment and processes for assembling and calibrating autonomous vehicles. This person will work closely with Cruise and GM engineers to customize manufacturing assembly for autonomous vehicles, as well as build a scalable vehicle calibration system that can be implemented at all Cruise locations.
- Collaborate with software, hardware, and manufacturing teams to transition calibration and bring-up techniques from R&D to the production scale and meet all aggressive program timelines
- Design, build, iterate on, and test scalable vehicle calibration equipment to be used at all Cruise locations
- Once a prototype is finalized, drive increased precision and repeatability into the calibration process
- Identify what is needed to produce step-change improvements in the bring-up and calibration process; design and implement bench-scale and vehicle level testing to achieve it
- Work closely with the calibration and sensors team on defining and meeting calibration requirements for multiple future sensor suites
- Work with vendors to meet necessary specifications and timelines; make design-vs-buy decisions
- Work closely with the GM manufacturing and design teams to incorporate autonomous vehicle assembly into the factory, reducing variability and post-processing
- Create FMEAs to identify and mitigate risks to the calibration process and development timeline
- Lead and train vehicle technicians in performing calibration and bring-up activities
- Troubleshoot, debug, and optimize equipment for manufacturing and calibration
- BS or MS in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Software) or other applicable technical degree
- 3-8 years of experience in industrial, manufacturing, automotive, robotics, or similar industry
- Demonstrated hands-on experience building, programming, and troubleshooting electromechanical systems
- Experience bringing a product from conception to prototype to production
- Deep understanding of how mechanical, electrical, and software engineering components interact
- Experience with sensors and calibration preferred
- Some ability to program (Python preferred)
- Experience with Google suite, JIRA, Confluence, or similar programs preferred
- Willingness to travel: this position is based in San Francisco and will require some travel to Detroit
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.