We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
The Director of Simulation is a critical engineering leadership role that will help ensure Cruise’s success in shipping and maintaining our self-driving vehicle fleet. The Simulation team designs test frameworks for every aspect of our autonomous vehicle software systems, which include complex framework interactions, real-time safety-critical operations, sensor fusion, deep learning, behavioral planning, diagnostics, and controls. These test tools enable our Engineering and QA teams to evaluate features before they ship, recreate field performance, and augment the vehicle’s reality via true-to-life 3D simulation to test for extreme driving scenarios and edge cases.
This person will be responsible for all Simulation deliverables, including deployment and optimization of our test frameworks, designing an extensible and robust architecture, maintenance of deployed solutions, and ensuring the fidelity of test output. The Director will lead the growth and development of Simulation, mentor managers and engineers, work with Technical Leads on design decisions and code review, and instill a culture of engineering excellence for how Simulation develops, operates, and functions as a team.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Responsible for guiding and directing the Simulation department at Cruise
- Set up processes within the team to ensure engineering excellence including, but not limited to design reviews, resource estimation, delivery schedule, customer interaction, prioritization, and continuous improvement.
- Work with Engineering, QA and Systems Engineering departments to understand and prioritize feature needs and guide development activities
- Work with technical leads within Simulation and AV to set architectural direction and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges.
- Work with recruiting to drive a diverse hiring pipeline and ensure roles are prioritized and filled
- Design and build an organizational structure for efficient and high-quality output
- Work with all interfacing organizations in establishing incoming and outgoing SLAs.
- Foster a collaborative culture of testing and documentation
- Serve as an embodiment of our values
- Ensure your team delivers timely, high-quality output
You should apply to this role if you have the following qualifications
- 10 or more years of experience building and leading software engineering teams
- Have shipped and maintained a product on the market
- Experience as a software developer
- Experience with AWS, GCP, or other cloud infrastructure providers
- Passion for self-driving technology and its potential impact on the world
- Attention to detail and a passion for correctness
- Experience developing or validating stochastic systems.
- Experience with ROS or other Robotics frameworks
- Fluency in C++ or similar languages
- Experience working with or working as a Systems Engineer
- Experience designing and deploying complex systems
- Experience with visual design and 3D graphics
- Experience working with relational databases
- Experience working with Docker development and deployment workflows
- Experience installing, configuring, and managing AWS or on-premises server infrastructure
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Annual Learning and Development stipend
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your workstation
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.