We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We are looking for talented Engineering Managers to lead, manage, and grow an engineering team in a fast-paced environment. We have multiple roles across our Simulation group currently open including:
2D Simulation: this role will manage a team of senior engineers in charge of the Motion Planning aspects of our core 2D simulator. Technical depth in C++, algorithms, real-time systems, performance optimization and general team leadership are ideal.
Performance Sim: Performance Sim can replay recorded data through our AV software stack and runs on the exact same hardware that's in our vehicles. This team focuses on building our performance test frameworks and resulting optimization work on our core OS.
At Cruise, we believe in managers who remain deeply technical, and understand the challenges their teams are facing, even though they may not be the technical lead or contributing code day to day. Our managers coach their teams to success, shield their teams from distractions, and help publicly celebrate wins.
- Direct oversight of engineers building Simulations for autonomous vehicles
- Work with technical lead(s) to set the technical direction for the team, and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Deliver highly functioning software
- Work with Engineering Director(s) and Technical Program Managers to create and execute on a roadmap for your team
- Drive software engineering best practices both within your team, and create tooling which encourages these across the company
- Conduct performance reviews, identify top performers, and support their growth into Engineering Management or Technical
- Leadership roles
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture, and a high output team
- Help define, build, and embody Cruise engineering culture and principles
- Invest heavily in recruiting by working closely with recruiters, screening candidates, and identifying opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- 1+ years experience managing teams who support scalable production systems
- 5+ years experience in software engineering roles
- Experience building performance critical systems in C++ or Python
- Experience working on Simulation or Robotics
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, or equivalent real world experience
- Self motivation and passion to lead your teams, encourage best practices, and constantly improve
- Experience with modern C++11 development
- Experience with CI and CD workflows
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and 12 paid company holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.