We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
The Vehicle Controls team is responsible for the software that makes the physical vehicle follow a reference trajectory in a safe, accurate, and reliable manner. This includes feedback and feedforward control for reference tracking, state estimation, vehicle dynamics modeling and simulation, and fault detection/tolerance. Vehicle controls lives between motion planning (responsible for generating kinematically feasible, comfortable, collision-free trajectories) and the hardware interface to the car’s actuators and sensors. The team works closely with the Cruise hardware integration team as well as GM engineers to interface with the car hardware.
We are looking for experienced C++ software engineers to design and develop production level, robust, state estimation and sensor fusion algorithms. You will design, implement and maintain the controls state and parameter estimation modules to estimate vehicle pose, speed, mass, etc. from available sensor readings. You will also be responsible for designing and implementing fault detection algorithms within the estimators (e.g. sensor mismatch) and evaluating the performance of the estimators in response to sensor failures from simulation and real-world data.
- Design and implement state and parameter estimation algorithms.
- Develop production level high-performance C++ code to run on the vehicle.
- Analyze performance from simulation and real-world testing (on public roads and closed-course test tracks), root cause issues, identify areas for improvement.
- Work with GM engineers on sensor and actuator selection, modeling, calibration, etc.
- Work with GM and Cruise AV safety and validation teams on testing, requirements, and validation
- Work with existing code base to optimize reliability and performance.
- Learn every day from the top computer scientists and engineers in the self driving car space.
You should apply for this role if you have the following requirements:
- Expertise in state estimation, Kalman filters, inertial navigation, sensor fusion and sensor fault detection
- Experience working with IMUs.
- Experience writing C/C++ in a production environment -- unit testing, code review, algorithm performance and tradeoffs, etc.
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering. (BS plus 7+ years of industry experience, or MS/PhD plus 4+ years of industry experience)
- Experience working on high-speed latency-critical systems
- Experience with autonomous vehicles.
- Strong background in dynamical systems.
- Familiarity with FMEAs.
- Practical familiarity with closed-loop control systems.
- Experience with physically realistic simulations (timing frameworks, physical modeling and validation, hardware-in-the-loop).
- Experience in code optimization or high performance computing.
Perks of being a Cruiser
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.