We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the Role:
The thermals systems engineer is responsible for designing and releasing components and systems for Cruise’s automated driving hardware platform both in the prototype and production environment. We are looking for passionate and talented engineers to join the vehicle engineering team. This team is responsible for the hardware platform as a whole which encompasses major subsystems such as the roof module, compute suite, and the sensor suite. A successful addition to the team in this position will generally have a breadth of design engineering interests and capabilities as well as a focused expertise in thermal systems required for highly sensitive electronic components in an automotive or similar environment. This position reports to the HW R&D Manager.
Day-to-Day Responsibilities Include:
- Derive requirements and specifications for thermal systems and components
- Own architecture design and provide supporting documentation to back decisions
- Perform thermal systems design including airflow management, coolant flow management, and thermal system integration.
- Modeling and design of mechanical systems and components
- Create DFMEA, statement of work, and other engineering documentations
- Create test plans that provides accurate insight into the system
- Devise thermal simulation strategy for complex electromechanical systems
- Conduct FEA and CFD for complex systems and optimize designs based on results
- Collaborate with prototype and production suppliers
- Design for the appropriate manufacturing process based on quantity estimates
You may be a good fit if the following apply:
- MS or higher in mechanical engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Able to deliver with little oversight
- Strong communicator
- Experience in complex thermal systems for electromechanical systems
- Strong experience with FEA and CFD
- Strong experience in design of air and liquid cooling systems in automotive and/or consumer electronics
- Strong fundamental knowledge of thermal engineering theory and design
- Experience with medium to high volume production of thermal systems
- Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and a variety of engineering materials
- Knowledge of standard manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of common material properties
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.