We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
We’re looking for a Staff Engineer on our Maneuver and Route Planning team to drive critical architecture decisions. The Planning team handles decision making in all urban road situations, including collision avoidance, intelligent routing, unprotected turns, four-way-stops, lane changes, and more. Our job is to produce robust, general solutions that capture all the nuances of driving safely on the road. Engineers on this team develop algorithms and systems for handling complex maneuvers and road scenarios and write code that is clean, clear, fast, and reliable.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Work with team leads and engineering leadership to prioritize development roadmaps and plan future projects
- Invent, extend, design and develop next-generation features for maneuver or route planning applications
- Influence others and build consensus even over contentious technical debates.
- Play a key role in others’ professional development, adding value to their career via improving their technical skills.
- Improve and deliver reliable software through continuous integration, automated testing and code reviews
You should apply for this role if you have the following requirements:
- Bachelors/Masters/PhD in Computer Science, Robotics, Mathematics, Physics, EE, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years experience as a software engineer writing production-quality code, preferably in C++
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to clearly formulate, discuss, and solve novel problems
- Eagerness to learn and explore new technologies
- Experience developing high-quality software under significant latency and performance constraints (e.g. video games, high frequency trading)
- Motion planning and robotics experience
- Experience with computational geometry or linear algebra
- Experience developing safety-critical code (e.g. aerospace)
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.