We’re Cruise, the self-driving ride-hailing service.
We are building the world’s most advanced, all-electric, self-driving cars to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving cars will help save lives, reimagine cities, redefine time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
At Cruise, our engineers have opportunities to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the cutting-edge of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to solve one of today’s most complex engineering challenges, see the results of your work in hundreds of self-driving cars, and make a positive impact in the world starting in our cities, join us.
About the role:
We’re looking for a Staff Engineer on our Planning team to drive critical architecture decisions. The Planning team handles decision making in all urban road situations, including collision avoidance, intelligent routing, unprotected turns, four-way-stops, lane changes, and more. Our job is to produce robust, general solutions that capture all the nuances of driving safely on the road. Engineers on this team develop algorithms and systems for handling complex maneuvers and road scenarios and write code that is clean, clear, fast, and reliable.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Work with team leads and engineering leadership to prioritize development roadmaps and plan future projects
- Invent, extend, design and develop next-generation features for maneuver or route planning applications
- Influence others and build consensus even over contentious technical debates.
- Play a key role in others’ professional development, adding value to their career via improving their technical skills.
- Improve and deliver reliable software through continuous integration, automated testing and code reviews
You should apply for this role if you have the following requirements:
- Bachelors/Masters/PhD in Computer Science, Robotics, Mathematics, Physics, EE, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years experience as a software engineer writing production-quality code, preferably in C++
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to clearly formulate, discuss, and solve novel problems
- Eagerness to learn and explore new technologies
- Experience developing high-quality software under significant latency and performance constraints (e.g. video games, high frequency trading)
- Motion planning and robotics experience
- Experience with computational geometry or linear algebra
- Experience developing safety-critical code (e.g. aerospace)
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our self-driving cars go:
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401(k) Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
- Paid parental leave & family expansion stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Quarterly offsites & working retreats
- On-site massages
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Learn more about Life at Cruise through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page.
Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. And if you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.