We're the driverless car company. We’re building the world’s best autonomous vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
Our vehicles are on the road in California, Arizona, and Michigan navigating some of the most challenging and unpredictable driving environments. We’re hiring people who want to solve some of today’s most complex engineering challenges and make a positive impact.
Our Site Reliability team is looking for a Senior Manager to help with building a highly resilient, performant, and secure internal Platform as a Service which hosts our core backend services to control our fleet of vehicles, runs driving simulations at scale, and executes machine learning training jobs for our Autonomous Vehicle engineering team. We’re currently using AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Vault, and Spinnaker, but we’re also interested in your experience and suggestions.
- Set the technical direction for our SRE team
- Manage team and key projects to meet timelines
- Proactively identify gaps in engineering SDLC and system excellence. Key contributor in forming the team’s technical strategy and aligning the team and customers on it.
- Continuously try to simplify architecture. Have a wide system view across the company reusing internal or open source components when feasible.
- Initiate large projects with complex architecture, breaking it down to the right logical components so others can be utilized effectively.
- Work frequently with other teams to coordinate major changes to cross-system architectures, influencing upstream or downstream for the most efficient solution.
- Able to advise leadership at the director+ level on technical strategy and tech teams talent needs.
- Manage our on-premise and cloud Kubernetes clusters to support growing workloads
- Design and implement best practices for security, monitoring, and logging systems
- Manage our CI & Simulation infrastructure running on AWS GPU instances
- 10+ years experience in software or DevOps engineering roles
- Expert in setting architectures that are scalable, cost effective, fault tolerant and are easily extensible allowing for changes overtime without major disruptions.
- Complete understanding unix and networking fundamentals
- Experience handling 30+ direct reports
- Lead design reviews and architectural sign off for critical areas. Probes assumptions to uncover design flaws by considering a system wide view larger than that of the team’s.
- Experience with scaling and/or overhauling distributed systems and applications
- Experience managing container-based workloads, using Kubernetes or other orchestration software
- Experience with AWS, or other cloud infrastructure providers
- Ability to manage competing priorities, focus on shipping, and work well under pressure
- Experience managing physical compute, storage, and networking hardware
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark, or other data processing tools
- Solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including matched 401k, medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Lunch, snacks, and dinner
- Free rides in self-driving cars!
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.