We're the driverless car company.
We believe in improving people’s lives by making transportation safer, more accessible, and more convenient. We’re building the world’s most advanced software to fuel the driverless cars that safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about.
We seek and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We continuously push ourselves to think differently and take ownership wherever it's needed. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed. If you share our passion for achieving what some say is impossible, join us.
About the role:
Perception is the overarching team that takes raw sensor input and uses it to determine what is happening around the car. They deal with a variety of sensors, including lidars, radars, and cameras. The perception team goes all the way from raw sensor detection, to sensor fusion, to tracking and prediction of all the different objects around the car. Perception encompasses 7 teams: Visual Detection, Visual Environment, Lidar Segmentation, Radar Segmentation, Tracking, Prediction, and GPU Platform. Each of these teams play a crucial part in the pipeline for understanding the world around the car.
This candidate will be fully responsible for aspects of a subset of the perception team’s deliverables, including deployment and optimization of our machine learning models, designing the architecture of our software stack to be able to run as efficiently as possible, and designing systems to monitor for regressions. Our engineer's career development and productivity are crucially important. The Senior Engineering Manager will lead the growth and organization of the team, mentor engineers and support career development, work with the Technical Lead on design decisions and code review, and communicate team status and objectives with Senior Management.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Responsible for guiding and directing lidar segmentation, radar segmentation and computer vision efforts.
- Set up processes within team to ensure high quality engineering architecture and design along with fast, reliable, testable production code
- Work with Engineering Directors, Tech Leads, and Technical Project Managers to allocate team members to projects.
- Mentor reporting managers
- Foster a collaborative culture of testing, safety, and documentation
- Serve as an embodiment of our values
- Ensure your team delivers high output
- Work with Tech Lead to set direction for team, anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Help craft technical and product strategy
- Work with GM and Cruise AV validation teams on testing and requirements
You should apply for this role if you have the following qualifications:
- Management experience with an engineering team
- Experience as a software developer
- Experience with modern machine learning techniques
- Modern software development (GIT/JIRA)
- Familiarity working in an R&D environment
- Experience writing C++ in a production environment
- Worked on high-speed feedback loops
- Experience writing C for embedded systems, especially RTOS
- Experience with ROS
- Experience in code optimization or high performance computing
Perks of being a Cruiser:
While doing meaningful work is the best perk of all, we also offer the following programs and benefits to support the extraordinary humans who serve as the backbone in making our robot cars go:
- The opportunity to solve difficult problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications
- Competitive salary and benefits including 401k Cruise matching program to help you meet your long-term financial goals
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Paid parental leave so you can spend time with the newest addition(s) to your family’s fleet
- Health and Wellness reimbursement
- Flexible vacation and 10 paid company holidays
- State of the art equipment for your work station
- Healthy lunch, snacks, dinner
Take a glimpse through the lens of a Cruiser on our LinkedIn Page
GM Cruise LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, GM Cruise LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Pursuant to applicable laws, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.