VP, Current Programming & Production
Crooked Media is looking for a VP, Current Programming & Production to lead the development and growth of its podcasting portfolio of non-scripted formats. This executive role will oversee unscripted podcasts, primarily leading the team that develops and produces “always-on” talk formats, including managing producers, maintaining relationships with hosts and talent, and running a creative process to evaluate and improve shows and formats over time. The person in this role must exercise strong multi-tasking skills and be able to manage multiple projects at various stages. Ideal candidate will have prior experience building and leading production teams, and experience in creative development in podcasting or other talk formats.
Vision & People Management
- Develop, lead, and iterate on the long-term creative vision for all podcast development
- Work with leadership to determine goals and KPIs and lead weekly update meetings to report progress to company leadership across all podcasts
- Establish and report on monthly, quarterly, and yearly progress towards goals and elevate production or development issues to leadership
- Recruit, mentor, develop full-time and contract development and production staff, and work with recruiting and human resource to maintain high standards for diversity
- Lead budget and show forecasting with finance and operations leadership
- Work closely with Head of Development to evaluate and plan for potential podcast projects during the early development of always-on talk formats, whether through hearing incoming pitches or recruiting talent directly.
- Provide input and help to shape Crooked’s programming overall, and ensure holistic programming across our podcasts, including scripted, unscripted talk, and docuseries.
- Oversee production of all assigned podcasts and development, including evaluation of source material, concept, and character development as well as business matters such as deals with key partners.
- Maintain a steady development of Crooked’s network identity and work closely with producers and hosts on the editorial agenda, story edits of segments, and oversee content direction and quality.
- Build and maintain relationships with partners, writers, producers, hosts, directors, and production companies
- Oversee editorial planning of all podcasts, including theme/topic selection, defining program elements, and selection/booking of contributors and guests
- Oversee all aspects of podcast/audio production: scripting, recording (both in studio, remotely, and in the field), editing, mixing, mastering, and distribution.
- Act as the production point of contact for all marketing initiatives
The following characteristics are required of those in leadership positions (Director and above) at Crooked Media. Each leadership characteristic is part of the annual evaluation process and all are critical to effective leadership to advance our organization:
- A strong sense of ownership and excitement related to our mission
- A self-starter and leader who will guide the way of our programming initiatives
- A strong collaborator, who is eager to create a positive environment to work well with others and bring multiple stakeholders together to accomplish amazing things
- A strategic thinker and doer who maintains a strong balance between creative vision and project management skills, which many times will require one to actively roll up their sleeves to bring great ideas to life
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with a network or production company or related experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred, but not required
- Prior experience managing, developing, and mentoring staff members
- Strong storytelling and hands-on production skills
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and relationship building skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative, and high energy environment
- Willingness to work in Los Angeles and be able to travel for work related productions
- Self-starter, with a strong collaboration and strategic thinking skills, who can balance the creative vision required of this role
- Proven ability to oversee processes with multiple stakeholders and lots of moving parts