The Business Development and Marketing Director is an entrepreneurial self-starter. This individual must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills and must be highly experienced in guiding the development of complex new business strategies for Fortune 1000 clients. They should have a good “pulse” on the interactive market, competitive landscape and client decision-makers, particularly in the U.K. As a senior member of the team, the Business Development and Marketing Director must be adept at leading new business presentations and proposals, and highly experienced at architecting both the client proposal strategy and the final presentation in conjunction with the team. This individual must have the poise, professionalism and interpersonal skills to motivate team members, guide the development of the solution and help the team navigate a myriad of decisions in high-pressure situations under tight timelines.
- Successfully close qualified accounts within targeted accounts and verticals. 70% of effort will be focused on screening and qualifying in-bound leads; 30% securing new opportunities through networking, cold calling, relationship building, etc.
- Understand and internalize Critical Mass’ client criteria and be able to screen business accordingly
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with complementary technology and marketing partners to develop new opportunities, joint business plans and value propositions
- Represent the company at networking functions and other industry-related events through speaking, networking, and other business building activities
- Lead the development of RFP / RFI responses and presentations, mobilizing the team in the development of the solution under tight timelines. Must be able to inspire confidence from team members and guide the team through the response process effectively
- Able to draw from industry insights, past client work and client needs to help formulate the strategy and proposed solution in collaboration with the team
- Participate in sales forecasting and planning on a weekly, quarterly and annual basis
- Contribute to regular reports, business development and marketing plans, and pipeline status
- Actively available via phone, e-mail and chat for real-time discussions on opportunities, process, team collaboration, status, etc.
- Maintain a working knowledge of industry trends in order to generate insights, perspectives and strategic value that differentiate Critical Mass during interactions with a prospective client
- Through research and investigation, grasp the client’s unique business needs and pain points, and develop responses and interactions that connect with the client and demonstrate that Critical Mass understands their business
- Must possess a strong intellectual curiosity and desire to understand and solve client pain points
- Contribute to our business development and marketing strategies by being a key participant in quarterly, annual and ad hoc planning discussions
- Possesses strong critical reasoning skills; Able to provide meaningful, well-reasoned critiques and suggestions on the direction of a variety of initiatives including the direction of the department, company, or a particular pitch
- Disciplined self-starter with 6+ years in an interactive agency environment or other related service industry;
- Proven track record developing relationships with key industry players; able to build relationships with sophisticated Fortune 1000 buyers within the interactive space to close new opportunities for Critical Mass
- Track record of meeting or exceeding new business revenue targets
- Able to cultivate trust and credibility with peers and maintain strong working relationships at all levels of Critical Mass’ distributed organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; able to formulate, write and succinctly communicate our value, strategy and proposed solution on client opportunities
- A demonstrated ability to work in a highly entrepreneurial setting where ‘many hats’ must be worn and decisions need to be made quickly with minimal management direction
- Team player, strong work ethic, results-oriented, flexible, patient and adaptable; persuasive and diplomatic
- An understanding of internet marketing and website development, including search content management, e-commerce, electronic marketing, personalization, etc.
- General management experience, especially account management experience a plus