Chipper Cash is the largest mobile cross-border money transfer platform in Africa. We are a passionate team, dedicated to expanding financial inclusion in some of the global regions most in need of accessible, interoperable, easy-to-use, and affordable financial services.
- We are a small team. You will be encouraged to engage in high-level technical decision making, and there will be a lot of room for growth for early hires as the company continues to expand.
- The Chipper team is truly global on a daily basis, you might be interacting with team members in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, London, Accra, Lagos, and Nairobi.
- You will not be micromanaged. We have an engineering team culture centered on open-communication, honest feedback, and personal responsibility.
About Our Tech Stack
- Fullstack Typescript
- Fully automated CI/CD using Semaphore and Github Unit testing with Jest/Mocha.
- React Native - Android / iOS application
- Monitoring with BugSnag & Amplitude
- Global state management with Redux
- Chipper UI design system powered by: Styled Components & StoryBook
- Node.js - service-based architecture
- PostgreSQL application databases
- RabbitMQ for inter-server communication
- Server hosting on Heroku and Google Cloud Platform Monitoring with Datadog & Logz.io
- Snowflake for data warehousing and analysis
- Python for in-depth data analysis, transformation, and reporting
Our Mobile Product teams are building the flagship Chipper Cash product as well as entirely new products that the fintech ecosystem has never seen before. You'll work cross functionally with various designers, product owners & engineers to build and deliver exceptional user experiences and products for our 4+ million Chipper users.
About the Role
At Chipper we’re looking for an exceptional Senior Engineer who can help us create a world-class payment application. You’ll be using your detailed knowledge of development in React Native to execute and own parts of the technical roadmap & development of the mobile app with the goal of improving user experience, design and performance. Our key values are centered around being bold and taking initiative to make things better when things are out of place. This role is pivotal in helping us to uphold these values through how we drive our engineers to work with our existing codebases and build world class features for our customers.
At Chipper we have a comprehensive IC track and this role is expected to operate at a senior level. You will be supported by the Engineering Manager of Mobile Product and therefore have no people management responsibilities - however it’s great if you’ve done this part before. Expect to spend 70% of your time on technical issues and supporting the team and 30% on process improvements whether technical or people related.
What You Will Be Doing
- Be an Owner: Own technical implementation and technical roadmap improvements of the Chipper Cash stocks product from the mobile side.
- Join a team of geographically distributed engineers who own Mobile Product with the goal of shipping the most reliable & engaging mobile app in our industry.
- Build intuitive and delightful customer experiences that strengthen our reputation for a trusted payments brand.
- Build, test and ship customer facing features/products using tools and frameworks like React Native, Typescript, ES6, Node, and Redux.
- Raise the bar for product quality by maintaining a high baseline and quickly fixing and polishing UX issues.
- Design and contribute to the high-performance backend services that drive the mobile app.
- Refine and practice a strong sense of design and human-centered UX.
- Relentlessly pursue best in class engineering standards while still getting updates and new products into our users hands.
What You Should Have
- A passion for fintech whether it be being an avid user of Chipper or other fintech apps, following industry news or trading on the market .
- 4+ years of React/React Native experience - this role is React Native therefore we require proven experience with building mobile applications with React Native.
- 3+ years of experience with Typescript.
- Empathy for building performant experiences for folks with low end devices, low disk space and slow internet connections.
- A true passion for user experience, as evidenced by an obsessive user focus, as well as an ability to render complexity down to its truest essence.
- An ability to collaborate with designers, product owners, and other Chipper teams to come up with high-impact ways of quickly solving our users’ problems.
- You ship incrementally to move fast and can communicate how the team needs to handle product transitions.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different functions, stakeholders, and subject matter experts.
- A desire to work with some of our most demanding and discerning customers.
- A passion for building amazing end-to-end experiences with an eye for design and quality.
- You are a champion for the customer and constantly put yourself in the shoes of your users, and strive to create an intuitive and delightful experience.
- You are based in Africa and are able to be online within our core working hours of 2-5pm GMT.
If you feel you are a fit, please apply because we would love to hear from you. It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to read through our job description so thank you so much for your time. We wish you all the best in your job search.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chipper Cash is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
If there are any accommodations that we can provide during the interview process that help you to be confident and do your best work, don’t hesitate to let us know.